Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

On 5/13/2021 at 2:23 PM, Rick Griewski said:

Picked up my kit today at my LHS.  It will be on the bench for a quick look see tomorrow.   I will not let the new get too close to my almost completed vac it I was pawing the other day.  Could result in an almost matter-anti-matter reaction.  

oK I locked the vac kit in the closet and...

what a nice kit!   So much so I had to dive in and assemble it.  The wing looked like over engineering trouble within the radiator area. But The top and bottom went together flawlessly after assembly of all the many internal parts.  I did apply caution as the parts are handed. The front bulkheads inside the nacelles only fit one sort of cryptic way that fell into place only after I taped the two haves together. I then glued one side.   I will take some pictures of all the sub-assemblies ready to paint and post them later next week (circles and arrows may be included).

Oh yes seat harness is not included but some nice 500 lb bombs with nice racks that are not used are include.  IIRC the fighter and the bomber only differ by the bombs and racks.  Maybe just different decals gets you the bomber. 

4 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

with nice racks that are not used are include.  

You know what they say about a bird with a nice rack!!

Yes yes  ill get my coat and show myself out

Edited by Neo

I was really bored this evening and I went over to that "other site". to look at what's new.  (HS).  I'm really interested in that NEW Gaspath Me 163.  There is a video of what in the box for the Me 163 kit but at the end of the video Brett Green picks up his in progress 1:32 Whirlwind and shows off the c/p and built up aircraft pictures.  Wow.  I thought it was so much larger of and actual a/c but its not a large aircraft IMHO.  Looking forward to picking this one up someday soon.  WWII British aircraft are always welcome in the collection.  

sigh.......so would a nice P-51B/C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy 

• 1 month later...

As the Airfix Whirlwind was the first kit I ever made, over 50 years ago, I couldn't resist; never thought I would see one in 1/32.  Only disappointment so far is that although the kit includes the early cockpit arrangement, including an instrument panel decal, the aircraft covered by the decal sheet would (according to the kit instructions) all have had the later cockpit layout.  Shame as I want to build one of the earlier batch that lasted until the Whirlwind was withdrawn and scrapped in 1944.   

On 5/19/2021 at 8:37 PM, Troy Molitor said:

I was really bored this evening and I went over to that "other site". to look at what's new.  (HS).  I'm really interested in that NEW Gaspath Me 163.  There is a video of what in the box for the Me 163 kit but at the end of the video Brett Green picks up his in progress 1:32 Whirlwind and shows off the c/p and built up aircraft pictures.  Wow.  I thought it was so much larger of and actual a/c but its not a large aircraft IMHO.  Looking forward to picking this one up someday soon.  WWII British aircraft are always welcome in the collection.  

sigh.......so would a nice P-51B/C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy 

Hey Troy.   

For a twin engine aircraft, no it isn't as large as you might think. Here are some pics from my 07 Whirlwind sratchbuild in comparison with a Beaufighter, Tbolt and 109.   

The comparison is interesting, especially with the Beaufighter and T Bolt.  Of course this all assumes I got the Whirlwind dimensions correct at the time!

Cheers

Dave/Ironman1945

post-562-1191474360

post-562-1191474636

post-562-1191474816

Edited by ironman1945

I have my first kit half way together. You need to be careful of the cockpit, assemble bits into each side and mate them up to the wing with the internals installed there. Some trimming will be needed to get it to fit, mainly on the diagonal panels which go down to the rear spar. Do it before gluing the halves together so you can see where cuts need to be made. 

The fuselage around the trailing edge of the wing needs some serious filler to correct the sections, there being no concave sections there (on the sides). I do like the way the expanded fuel tanks are done underneath, even the very subtle fillets from outer wing to centre section. The top fuel tank is nice but I think it might be a little exaggerated, but if so they have gone to an awful lot of trouble to get it wrong.

Overall, highly recommended so far.