Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

That looks great!  Not sure what the later hi-tech release would add.  Seat belts, I assume.  Maybe resin engines?

if it's like the tempest it will be masks, seatbelts and resin wheels, guns/bays and cockpit replacement parts.  I'm building their tempest II at the moment, some of the resin is too small for my fingers and eyes so not using them. 

in box video review

https://youtu.be/fkiM_FgBPeY

some of the fuselage detail looks a little soft, but other bits look really nice

i like the way the wings are done and how the fuselage mates with them - that's really well done

i am rather scared by the landing gear assembly though - it looks like a cross between Revell Spitfire MkII / Me109 G utter stupidity combined with Mosquito / He111 engineering in the real thing - doh!!!

Edited by nmayhew

3 hours ago, nmayhew said:

in box video review

https://youtu.be/fkiM_FgBPeY

some of the fuselage detail looks a little soft, but other bits look really nice

i like the way the wings are done and how the fuselage mates with them - that's really well done

i am rather scared by the landing gear assembly though - it looks like a cross between Revell Spitfire MkII / Me109 G utter stupidity combined with Mosquito / He111 engineering in the real thing - doh!!!

I am sure that in due time I will have a solution for the u/c, I noticed the awkward set up on the instructions posted on line 10 days ago. Once I am able to get my kit I will start working on getting the fix done.

On 5/2/2021 at 5:15 PM, Wackyracer said:

Sorry Smokey, my bad, read the message PROPERLY Wacky :(

No worries, I tend to have ideas beyond the norm and forget to explain that the connection between my mind and reality is tenuous at best:P

Anyhow, this is the pink I’ll be painting mine in Vallejo PRU Pink and I’ll probably use some masks to do low vis style roundels, and use the kit  decals for stencils.

42 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Sorry no idea on that stuff! 

so, maybe could you post some good example of picture? link or smth. Especially for close up on details. I will be grateful for your help, since I would like to understand what do you mean when you are talking about low (or high) res pictures. Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, KFS-miniatures said:

so, maybe could you post some good example of picture? link or smth. Especially for close up on details. I will be grateful for your help, since I would like to understand what do you mean when you are talking about low (or high) res pictures. Thanks in advance

I think your picture size is big enough. I would suggest a slightly darker background as the white kind of makes the parts wash out a bit. Also, maybe they are slightly over-exposed as well a little better depth of field? Seems like a narrow range is in focus? Could also be slightly out of focus, or a slight movement of the camera? Having done several similar reviews; I know the pain! It's a lot of work to get good shots of multiple parts of different shapes. Here is one of my reviews: LEM Flitzer.

sorry for turning this into a photography thread!

i was almost certainly not using the correct terminology, but what i meant was that when clicking on the photos they were as if they were viewed through dirty glasses - just not clear or sharp enough

I let Ray make my excuses now :doh: