Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

7 hours ago, CharmyDown said:

The Whirlwind that almost landed on my Dad's nut 9th October 1941 - was it green & brown or green & grey?

The change was official in August of '41, however the process was to be gradual

so both color schemes would exist at the same time so it could have been either.

This from 'On Target special No.2' by Paul Lucas.

7 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

So looks like they are using the same options from the 1/72 kit a few years ago.  Glad this one is getting closer and closer to being available.

Matt 

They are, the profiles are from the 1/72 kit, I think I got away with it, just don't tell anyone. :whistle:

20 hours ago, CharmyDown said:

Ah Tim, I'm gonna do it green & grey I think as that's my preference,  but as I've two on order, I'll do the other green & brown with Dad's initials as a fictitious code - sorted!

...unless a photo crops up of P6968 proving otherwise. :(

Maybe we get to stand the models side by side when we can eventually get to our proper meetings going again.....

22 hours ago, Bradleygolding said:

Once again, Whirlwinds did not take part in the Dieppe Raid. The photos posted earlier in this epic thread are from Operation Starkey.

Sorry, didnt see it being discussed earlier. Got my reference from Airframe Album 4. So was the scheme correct, but the "operations" just transposed?

17 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

The change was official in August of '41, however the process was to be gradual

so both color schemes would exist at the same time so it could have been either.

This from 'On Target special No.2' by Paul Lucas.

Ferzactly! Hence my dilema, though I don't think the old man (almost 10 at the time) would have given a monkeys what colour it was - the only colour certainty  would've been that of his underpants! :(

17 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Sorry, didnt see it being discussed earlier. Got my reference from Airframe Album 4. So was the scheme correct, but the "operations" just transposed?

Historically I believe that the "Dieppe Raid" myth was started in a 1950s book about the whirlwind and seems to have been taken as gospel ever since. The scheme is correct, but the operation was later and a part of a pre D Day ruse to test defences around Calais.

Steve

Edited by Bradleygolding

On 10/20/2020 at 6:11 PM, fastterry said:

So only markings for 263 Sqn then. I guess there will be after market decals coming that will cover 137 Sqn as well?

TRF

Hi

If you are doing a 137Sqn machine in the later years when they were night flying

the Sqn 're organised' the blind flying panel instruments into a different order

cheers

jerry 

On 10/21/2020 at 10:08 PM, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I’m torn with this one, whether to do it in a real scheme, or indulge in some wiffery and build it as a Reno racer... Looks like I’ll have to buy 2!

Hi

You could do it as P6994 in usn colours 

cheers

jerry

• 3 weeks later...