Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

Spend a lot of time holidaying in Dorset especially at a place called Moreton. This is just down the road from where RAF Warmwell was. This was at one time, the home of 263sq. Next door to the caravan site we stay at, is a pub which has photos on the walls of the Whirlwinds and Typhoons that were based there.

After seeing these photos for the first time, I've wanted to build a 32 scale Whirlwind and a car door Tiffie. Looks like Special Hobby is going to grant me my wish.

Just spotted this; I lived in Moreton for several years, its main claim to fame is the grave of a certain T E Lawrence (of Arabia) in the churchyard. He of course was killed nearby at Bovington, his cottage Clouds Hill is open to the public. The nearby churchyard at Warmwell has a dozen or so immaculately tended graves from RAF airmen killed during the war, a beautiful tranquil spot.

I'll be building a Whirlwind for sure!

Edited by mozart

Only 116 build and there's a kit.

B-P Defiant 1046 build and still no kit.

I like the whirlwind.But would rather have the Defiant.And even more from Airfix in scale 1/24.

Edited by Erwin

RAF bombs were originally buff yellow with green tails, then changed to green when more ordnance was being carried externally, when the yellow colour proved a bit more conspicuous. There was a great deal of cross over, though!

Just spotted this; I lived in Moreton for several years, its main claim to fame is the grave of a certain T E Lawrence (of Arabia) in the churchyard. He of course was killed nearby at Bovington, his cottage Clouds Hill is open to the public. The nearby churchyard at Warmwell has a dozen or so immaculately tended graves from RAF airmen killed during the war, a beautiful tranquil spot.

I'll be building a Whirlwind for sure!

You'll probably know the pub that I'm on about, Frampton Arms. Good pint and good food

You'll probably know the pub that I'm on about, Frampton Arms. Good pint and good food

Yep, just by the railway station. I lived in Honeysuckle Cottage, as quaint as it sounds, and my landlady was Miss Mary Bridget Featherstonehaugh (pronounced Fanshaw!) Frampton!

Isn't VFS still supposed to be working on a 1/24th Griffon Spit?

Ooooo...how about a 1/24 Whirlwind! First choice still would be a 1/24 Corsair, though - Korean War F4u-5!

Still looking forward to the SH Whirlwind! Beautiful plane, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...