Martlesham Misses - 1/32 camels

RLWP

Ahhh, now.

Traditionally, a bodger made legs for chairs. They would go out into the woods with a few hand tools, make everything they needed from the materials to hand (trees) including a pole lathe. They would then run up as many chair legs as they could sell, come home and sell them

Nowadays boding comes in two types. The type I like the least involves mending things with duct tape, bits of wire ad other flimsy stuff. On the other hand, a really good quick fix can be a very admirable bodge

What a bodger does when modelling is, um, cutting, scraping, sticking, hacking about, using the wrong bits... That kind of stuff

Richard

Would you like a hankie?

Ahhh, now.

Traditionally, a bodger made legs for chairs. They would go out into the woods with a few hand tools, make everything they needed from the materials to hand (trees) including a pole lathe. They would then run up as many chair legs as they could sell, come home and sell them

Nowadays boding comes in two types. The type I like the least involves mending things with duct tape, bits of wire ad other flimsy stuff. On the other hand, a really good quick fix can be a very admirable bodge

What a bodger does when modelling is, um, cutting, scraping, sticking, hacking about, using the wrong bits... That kind of stuff

Richard

Would you like a hankie?

That's very interesting, Richard! I had never heard that term before. Rather like someone who "macguyvers" things together, after the old TV show.

And now that I know what it means, I too, am a bodger.

Edited by BiggTim

The second Part etch has turned up, so I now have two frames on the go:

Cockpit-1.JPG

The main tank is the wrong shape at the rear, 'cos it will be easier to fit that way. Not that you will be able to see it

Cockpit-2.JPG

I've been dressing up the insides of the fuselage. This is more or less a backdrop to the frame, so I'm not too worried if it is right:

Cockpit-3.JPG

Hobby Craft on the left, Academy on the right. The Hobby Craft fuselage is taller

Richard

Edited by RLWP

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies, I got a bit distracted making this:

pup-cowl-1.JPG

Clearly, not for a Camel

pup-cowl-2.JPG

Anyway - in the gun shop:

Vickers-1.JPG

Top left, Eduard Brassin barrels. Centre left, a WNW Vickers. Bottom, rolled Part etches. Top right, the Hobby Boss Vickers, and below that, they Academy one. The Academy gun is upside down - that's how the kit would have you fit it

Vickers-2.JPG

This is the Part etch on the Brassin barrels - I think they look better so I'm using them

All-1.JPG

Richard

Edited by RLWP

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress shots:

All-2.JPG

Front is the Academy Camel, the one becoming the taper wing version. As this is an early bird, I'm putting in the 'hump' to the rear of the guns to carry the windscreen

Taper-2.JPG

Both have been modified to include this fairing between the fuselage and the tailplane

Taper-3.JPG

And both have the Part photoetched seam fitted

All-3.JPG

On the left is a fuel tank to go behind the seat. I made the bottom flat, you can't see it and it is easier to fix in place like that. At the back is the cockpit framing, it comes up well with a bit of paint. At the front are the wicker seat, the stick and the rudder bar. Finally, on the right is the steerable tail skid

Lots of fiddly bits going on, I must remember to take more pictures!

Richard

Edited by RLWP

• 2 weeks later...

This bit has been bugging me for ages, and I'm wondering if I have eventually recreated what was in the original kit...

underside-1.JPG

It's probably me being an engineer. Those big cut outs are to allow air from inside the cowl to go out through slots in the underside. Neither kit left these ducts open, so I made a new underside:

underside-2.JPG

This is my third attempt - making the whole lot into an assembly like this made all the difference:

underside-3.JPG

Now the firewall is attached to the framework of the fuselage, and the outer panels are just ducts - exactly like the full size aeroplane!

What next?

Richard