1/48 Tamiya-ish Fw190 D-9 "Black 10"

mustang1989

This build took me about 4 months to get finished. Being a Tamiya it lends itself to a quick build. It was a run of the mill 1/48 Tamiya Fw190 D-9 with an Aires (pretty much complete engine and cockpit set), CMK undercarraige set, Model Master gun barrels and Aeromaster decals. Additionally, there was a slew of parts that I used from my spare Eduard Fw190 A8/ R2 kit to include the sliding canopy section, landing gear struts and doors (due to fact that Tamiya's landing gear is WAY too short), port side wing root cannon access panel, pitot tube, and instrument panel with PE. I also used a cowl gun access panel from an Eduard Fw190 D-9 kit that I had. The aircraft that I built is "Black 10" from I/JG26 surrendered in Flensburg in May of 1945. The aircraft was supposed to be shipped back to the U.S. for evaluation but never made the trip and was left in Germany. Odds are it ended up in the scrap heap. Anyways , noticeably visible is the half obscured Gruppe numeral on the side of the fuselage after it was reassigned from III Gruppe to I Gruppe as it was hastily painted over in the field.

e563eca2-7aa7-47f0-8299-ed07885db6d1_zps

2bfa7cfe-c5b3-4edf-9ba4-051ef8ddebfc_zps

27857f4e-c49c-4f41-82ad-8c5f69714250_zps

9edb61ec-7394-4265-9db0-c2d7f104d2f3_zps

ab88f71f-c2db-4175-ad83-498a13f63cf6_zps

TamiyaFw190D-9Finished1001_zpsd578bda3.j

In February  of this year my son and I went to San Antonio for Model Fiesta and I took this home in addition to a 1st Place Award in its class:

001_zps32opre4e.jpg

First time I ever took home a Special Award before. I was shocked!! 

Edited by mustang1989

Yeah. It even shocked me. I guess it was all in my planning throughout the build though. It was my most intense but one of my quickest builds in part because the base kit was a Tamiya and secondly because I knew exactly what parts I wanted to use from the Eduard boxings and I knew exactly what scheme I wanted from the get go.

Yeah. It even shocked me. I guess it was all in my planning throughout the build though. It was my most intense but one of my quickest builds in part because the base kit was a Tamiya and secondly because I knew exactly what parts I wanted to use from the Eduard boxings and I knew exactly what scheme I wanted from the get go.

Interesting that you say that about the scheme. Only rarely do I start a project without a specific destination in mind. I see modeling the same as I see a road trip. I really like to know my destination before leaving the house.

Thanks Vaughn! 

Kevin:Every once in a while I've gotta stew on it for  a little bit, read some, and then stew on it a little more. Most times I know what I'm going to do going in. I have to back track a little and say that it's all the stinkin' detail that I tend to throw at builds that really slows me down.  ;)