Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-29A - first Pics

Scotsman

Hello Tony, what does

"Isopro fatigue is a known condition of cold war lith-al alloy structures.. "

Cheers,

Marcel

Sorry, anisotropic.

https://www.svsu.edu/media/writingcenter/Improvements%20of%20Mechanical%20Properties.pdf

Al-lithium-copper alloy wing skin was tested on an F-15 but not adopted due to that issue.

The alloys have improved markedly.

It's a fascinating subject and my understanding is that the MiG-29s are much tougher today, using the equivalent of 8090 Al-Li-Cu type alloy. They originally had something like a 2,000 hr fatigue limit with the older stuff and were much easier to shoot down with a single missile.

The alloy thing impacts depot-level overhauls when fatigued parts might be replaced and therefore resprays :huh:

The whole subject of MiG materials and paint finishes is an untapped world of mystery.

Tony

edited for clarity

Edited by Tony T

Guest Clunkmeister

I just love the look of that thing. I like the Su-27 more, but the MiG-29 just has "the look".

It's all business, all the time.

I'm curious to know how'd they make out against F-15s, with crews being the same, the whole bit.

Didn't the Luftwaffe do a bunch of ACM and engagements with F-15s after reunification? If I remember right, there were a few USAF exchange pilots who flew Luftwaffe MiG-29s for their job...

Edited by Clunkmeister

I just love the look of that thing. I like the Su-27 more, but the MiG-29 just has "the look".

It's all business, all the time.

I'm curious to know how'd they make out against F-15s, with crews being the same, the whole bit.

Didn't the Luftwaffe do a bunch of ACM and engagements with F-15s after reunification? If I remember right, there were a few USAF exchange pilots who flew Luftwaffe MiG-29s for their job...

Your post reminded me of this:

With F-15, although it has a Vulcan it's size is more matched to Su-27 and engagement-wise, it's strength is it's Radar for intercept.

An F/A-18 pilot said that if he could survive intercept with an Eagle, he would have a chance in close combat.

thanks for the suggestion Iain, but I can't see any 9.19 in the sheet profiles... only 9.13

Indeed - but probably a good start - hence post.

Although looking closely the crescent moon in the roundel looks larger on the later airframe?

Iain

Are you guys interested in new (detailed) pics of the MiG-29? A friend of me was in Nürnberg and made some more pics.

The model that is shown in Nürnberg IS the FINAL product we will get!

It will be available in march, they already start to supply the wholesalers.

Yes please!  :)

Edited by The Dude