New Wingnut Fokker D.VII Variant coming in 2nd Quarter 2017!

seiran01

The answer to any questions in those kits is looking at the left over parts in the sprues.  If one can identify them, you can figure out what is coming down there road.  Multiple kits have lots of extra pieces.  WnW does a very good job of projecting and keeping mold costs down.  In the D.VII kits, there is a large amount of left over cowling.

I agree Kevin, given that there will be modelers that choose to do a "representative" plane, as opposed to a particular plane. But there in lies the rub: does one do the research, or just build something "close?"

The engine serials would be a next level type of research, but ultimately not reliable. if pilot "A" cracks up his plane, and another pilot could arrange an engine swap for higher performance in his plane, that sort of shoots the whole thing in the foot.

Happened with Triplanes a bit....

I probably trust WNW and the Windsock books as much as anything, but even then, one weak photo (I'm thinking of one particular machine, but there are many where only one or two photos seem to exist), does frequently not clearly define a particular manufacturer, so a certain amount of trust in the interpretive skills of others that are truly knowledgeable about a subject, need to come into play. This is a subject that has plagued WWI aviation modelers for ages.

I disagree. Several sources I have, refer to what are obviously the same aircraft and unit, as either OAW, Albatros or Fokker built machines. Since I know of no one definitive governing source of identification (the Fokker D.VII trilogy of books from Albatros Productions might be close), Joe average would have no real way of determining what machine was build by whom, especially when working from one, one hundred year old, grainy black and white photo.

All that is true.

However, the second line of the post you quoted addresses that issue:

Besides, Wingnut Wings is not producing specialized kits for people that don't know any better.  ;)

Edited by D Bellis

To be honest, I don't think people care about whether a particular D.VII is a Fokker, OAW, or Alby based on appearance or technical merit. Can't see many people saying I like Fokker cowl, but hate the OAW cowl. They want/like a particular marking scheme and will get whichever boxing has or is correct for the scheme they like.

I think with the new release, many will see it as an opportunity to pick up a kit that they missed out the first time around and will buy it just to have a D.VII and the early vs. late or Fokker vs.OAW vs. Alby distinction won't matter much.

To be honest, I don't think people care about whether a particular D.VII is a Fokker, OAW, or Alby based on appearance or technical merit. Can't see many people saying I like Fokker cowl, but hate the OAW cowl. They want/like a particular marking scheme and will get whichever boxing has or is correct for the scheme they like.

I think with the new release, many will see it as an opportunity to pick up a kit that they missed out the first time around and will buy it just to have a D.VII and the early vs. late or Fokker vs.OAW vs. Alby distinction won't matter much.

I actually have to disagree with your first statement. My favorite D.VII of all time, was supposedly and Albatros built machine, so I secured (after they were already sold out), the WNW Albatros built version of the kit, specifically so the representation (cowl vents and such) would be correct for that particular aircraft. My point was that sometimes, we just have no way of confirming which manufacturer produced the aircraft that we wish to reproduce or have decals for. In that case, a best guess is better than nothing, but certainly not ideal.

Regarding your second point, I agree with the first part, but don't believe that it doesn't matter, just that there's really no choice to be made.

I actually have to disagree with your first statement. My favorite D.VII of all time, was supposedly and Albatros built machine, so I secured (after they were already sold out), the WNW Albatros built version of the kit, specifically so the representation (cowl vents and such) would be correct for that particular aircraft. My point was that sometimes, we just have no way of confirming which manufacturer produced the aircraft that we wish to reproduce or have decals for. In that case, a best guess is better than nothing, but certainly not ideal.

Regarding your second point, I agree with the first part, but don't believe that it doesn't matter, just that there's really no choice to be made.

Actually, I think you are agreeing with my first point. You bought the Albatros only because you thought it was correct for the marking you wanted. You didn't buy the Albatros instead of the Fokker because you though the detail differences made one look better than the other.

My point was many people decide on a marking they like and choose the kit based on that, instead of most people would prefer a Fokker over an OAW just because they think a Fokker D.VII looks better than an OAW built one. Some may differ, but I think the majority decide on the markings they want first.

My point was many people decide on a marking they like and choose the kit based on that, instead of most people would prefer a Fokker over an OAW just because they think a Fokker D.VII looks better than an OAW built one. Some may differ, but I think the majority decide on the markings they want first.

That's true enough, as I certainly did, once for a Jasta 21 Albatros built version, and once for a Jasta 18 OAW machine.

...I think the majority decide on the markings they want first.

Which brings us back to the need for this 'early' kit. No one, including WnW, produced markings for the very early Fokker D.VIIs because there was no suitable kit. Or, more accurately, no existing kit contained the parts for a very early D.VII. With this kit, unique markings such as Berthold's colorful machine on the box top are now possible.

Without having the parts to build it, the markings desired by some of us would not have been forthcoming. 

D

Hey...I want to make sure I get this right....can someone tell me exactly what spark plug make and type were in these engines, by type...I surely wouldn't want to mess up something so important....... (running for the door now...hehehehe )

Joe

Edited by Joe66

Hey...I want to make sure I get this right....can someone tell me exactly what spark plug make and type were in these engines, by type...I surely wouldn't want to mess up something so important....... (running for the door now...hehehehe )

Joe

The early was a diesel.... Germans like their diesel's 

ok I am running now.....  I'll get my coat. :D

Guest Clunkmeister

Did anyone else notice that the rib knots on the first three bays out from the tip wing center section only have 210 knots per rib? They should have 217.

The kit is unbuildable like that.

:frantic:

Edited by Clunkmeister

Did anyone else notice that the rib knots on the first three bays out from the tip wing center section only have 210 knots per rib? They should have 217.

The kit is unbuildable like that.

:frantic:

Thank you for the pointer Ernie. I'll spend my money on something else then ;)

Hubert