New Wingnut Fokker D.VII Variant coming in 2nd Quarter 2017!

seiran01

To be honest I'm not sure why people complain about 'scalpers' on Ebay - it's just supply and demand in action. They're simply selling a rare product at a price that the market will accept. If you wanted a D.VII when they were 'cheap', then you should have bought one when supply was plentiful.

Amen to that! ... we spend bucketloads of money (or at least some of us do) ... Nice to make a little bit back, even if it's on one extremely overpriced kit.

I have no interest in WWI subjects ... but I wish I'd have hopped on the WNW bandwagon when it started rolling ... could have funded the entire stash on the sales!

I'm surprised the kits don't have have their own place on the ASX or Dow Jones

Rog :)

To be honest I'm not sure why people complain about 'scalpers' on Ebay - it's just supply and demand in action. They're simply selling a rare product at a price that the market will accept. If you wanted a D.VII when they were 'cheap', then you should have bought one when supply was plentiful.

I was I would have done that, had I known they existed before they were sold out. I was out of the hobby loop for a while and just missed out. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

And I don't have a problem with someone making a few bucks on ebay, I've done it myself. It just sucks to see every WnW kit on there with a BIN or starting price set so high that it's out of my range. I also notice that most of them don't sell at those prices, so I guess I'm not alone.

This thread has gotten a little sharp tongued. Why is everyone being so damn grouchy? I'm out of this one, yikes!

Thanks Tim. yes, let's drop the cheap shots, and talk about the DVII.

We'll see what comes in the box when the box arrives. An EARLY DVII that is Fokker built ought to have markedly different cowl panels, sans louvres, the low exhaust, and the early radiator. The initial release of the early Fokker built has these features. Indeed, the early kit I own has 3 pair of the rounded side cowl panels. The cowlings from the early release are unique to the kit; the OAW, and Albatros built have different cowls. The decals include a machine numbered 234/18, which is pretty low in the serial # range. Keep in mind that all of the early batch DVIIS were covered in the streaky green doped finish so commonly associated with the Dr-I. I would say it's possible that WNW has provided more of the same decals for this release; we may also get a slight variation in the cross Patee selection, as well as some of the early "fat arm" crosses.

I'm very curious to see what WNW has provided to create this edition of the early DVII.

Musta missed your question last night. Sorry.

Hold on a second, D. My two Fokker built kits have those decals in them already. Is it a different pattern? I seem to recall someone saying that Dr.1s were green streaked over sky blue...

The very first Fokker D.VII production run used the Mercedes D.IIIa (about 175 HP), switching to the Mercedes D.IIIau (about 190 HP) very early on. The D.IIIau then became the standard engine until the D.VII F which used the BMW D.IIIa (240 HP). 

Confusing? Yes. The generic root designation of D.III being used by the Germans makes the inclusion of power ratings necessary.

The streaked camo fabric was used beyond the engine change, but not for long. The decals in your kit would be for depicting a D.VII produced with the standard D.IIIau engine, but early enough to still have the streaked camo.

D

Good info. Any serial range for the original Mercedes IIIa motor? So, taking a WAG, we may get a different engine sprue, and some possible variations on the streaky finish. BTW, only kit 32011 comes with the streaky decals, for those who are curious.

oh wikipedia, how I sometimes love thee...

"Late in 1918, the Austro-Hungarian company MÃG (Magyar Ãltalános Gépgyár - Hungarian General Machine Company) commenced licensed production of the D.VII with Austro-Daimler engines. Production continued after the end of the war, with as many as 50 aircraft completed"

Guest Clunkmeister

I really need to build one of these D.Vlls. Everybody raves about them, and I have a few in the stash, but I just prefer two seaters, I guess.

I can't blame them for releasing another version, being that it probably rivals the Albatros D.V and D.Va as their most popular kit.

I'll pick up one or two, but man, I really, really, really excited about that Taube!

Edited by Clunkmeister

Any serial range for the original Mercedes IIIa motor?

If there is such a list, I'd love to see it. But, even with a definitive serial number for the factory engine change, some (most?) of the initial D.IIIa engines were replaced by D.IIIau engines after they were in service. 

D

"Yuge" is subjective. To paint any type Fokker D.VII as any other type of D.VII would require the same level of ignorance as, say, painting a P-51A as Gentile's Shangri La. 

I disagree. Several sources I have, refer to what are obviously the same aircraft and unit, as either OAW, Albatros or Fokker built machines. Since I know of no one definitive governing source of identification (the Fokker D.VII trilogy of books from Albatros Productions might be close), Joe average would have no real way of determining what machine was build by whom, especially when working from one, one hundred year old, grainy black and white photo.

Good info. Any serial range for the original Mercedes IIIa motor? So, taking a WAG, we may get a different engine sprue, and some possible variations on the streaky finish. BTW, only kit 32011 comes with the streaky decals, for those who are curious.

It seems to me that some old boy (now deceased) on the Aerodrome had put together just such a list, Mike. He was without question, one of the most knowledgeable people on the D.VII that I have ever encountered.

I agree Kevin, given that there will be modelers that choose to do a "representative" plane, as opposed to a particular plane. But there in lies the rub: does one do the research, or just build something "close?"

The engine serials would be a next level type of research, but ultimately not reliable. if pilot "A" cracks up his plane, and another pilot could arrange an engine swap for higher performance in his plane, that sort of shoots the whole thing in the foot.

Happened with Triplanes a bit....