Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

15 minutes ago, Daniel Leduc said:

So no intake cover.... :o

Dan.

Not yet, I have had other things to get done lately. I wanted to do them as a regular cover, but it seems they need to be part of the intake. to look correct. 

On 9/29/2018 at 1:20 PM, Scale_artisan said:

(...)

@Jennings. To which cockpit details are you referring to? To be honest, I haven't thoroughly looked at the kit's photos because I was so glad that finally somebody made it in 1/32! So, please give us your insights!!

Jenning was referring to a couple of "red flags" raised earlier in this thread:

• Cockpit floor: too far up, should be positioned further downwards (appr. 3.5 millimetres). Correspondingly, the console sidewalls are a little on the short side. However, and quite in contrast to the console sidewalls, the console top-level is OK.
  • Stbd console: the Kitty Hawk draftsman goofed up console orientation, the stbd console needs to be rotated by 180°.
  • "Fugly disproportionate seat". Some of the proposed marking options require different ejection seat models, early Northrop seat/Martin Baker IRQ7(A) and BRQ7(A) that are not included in the kit.
  • Kit instrument panel depicts the early original IP layout used on F-5E a/c without RWR equipment, whereas some of the proposed marking options had different IP layouts. Kitty Hawk utterly ignored this. In view of the available kit marking options, and technically speaking, you'd need three different instrument panels to wrap them all up. 

Technically speaking, and pitting the kit plastic against the kit marking options, the cockpit in general is the least accurate subassembly of the kit.

Individual acceptance levels ("Looks good enough."/"Ouch!"/"WTH?!", etc.) differ and are - as always - at modeller's discretion.

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

I haven’t gone back through all 65 pages, but is the cockpit floor problem caused the sidewalls being too short, or by the floor being too high compared to the side consoles?  I thought it was the floor being too high, but the sidewalls were the right height and the side consoles were in the right place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 2:31 PM, Daniel Leduc said:

So no intake cover.... :o

Dan.

Cari Amici 

So many moons ago I saw a vacUformed white sheet with several intake covers .

I remember they had for  F-5E, F-100, A-7 ...  among others

but I can't remember who was the manufacturer , perhaps Koster  [wkoster22@att.net]  

F16

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

A photoetched ladder would be useless as the full scale one is made of welded rods! 

Didn't the Hasegawa or Revell F-5 kits have a ladder included? I really don't recall.

5 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I think it’s two masks, one for the inside and one for the outside, so you can paint the interior color on the inside of the canopy instead painting both colors from the outside.

Hmmm, maybe, but that doesn't explain the red color. Will have to research that.