Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

On 23 August 2018 at 12:30 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

Actually all Iranian AF aircraft have English stencils and safety placards on them.  They always have.

Most pilots are required to learn and speak English, and I've consistently found these foreigners courteous, unlike some of the native English-speakers. 

So what if the Iranian F-5F is a re-lifed, factory overhaul of a fifty year old design with new avionics? I was four years old when the USAF received its last B-52H, fifty-six years ago. I think the BUFF was designed nearly seventy years ago and is still kept busy. The term "legacy" is also something the military is going to have to get used to. The F-35 will likely be flown by three generations. Boeing's fatigue tested the F-15E to about 60,000 hours, and they are likely to clock up 25,000 before they're boneyarded - think possibly another 35 years.

Back to the Kitty Hawk, the F does look nice. Don't know why, but I've always preferred planes with two of everything, especially seats and engines. The exception is the Mirage 2000, and I hope Kitty Hawk will get it out this year.

Tony 

All joking aside, the F-5 was a good, economical aircraft that could hold its own in a dogfight, and its size made it harder to spot - visually at least - which is why it is used by many airforces and in an adversarial capacity by the US. Probably won't see the Iranian's copying their F-14's, I bet. I really don't blame Iran for going with it.

They still keep the Tomcats going. Electron beam welded titanium wing carry through box and stuff like that is way outside Iranian manufacturing skills, as are the undercarriage legs, but they probably can extend airframe hours or believe they can.

wasn't the twin-tailed Iranian F-5 implicated in an IL-76 AWACS loss a few years ago? The rotodome separated and took the tail off. Horrible accident.

Tony  

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:19 AM, Tony T said:

.... Electron beam welded titanium wing carry through box and stuff like that is way outside Iranian manufacturing skills, as are the undercarriage legs.........

Tony  

Maybe.... But I don't think you should underestimate Iran. We have a lopsided view of the country and it's inhabitants in the West as we are fed images like it's just a desert 3rd world country. I have a feeling that isn't true. acquiring enough titanium to manufacture said wing-boxes may be something else...

I feel there is a tendency in Western countries to underestimate the capabilities of non-Western countries/peoples.... In any case, the Iranians were successful in keeping (parts of) their F-4, F-5 and F-14 fleet operational for over 40 years and even fight a protracted war with them, without any assistance from the manufacturers or other users, save some smuggled replacement parts... I think that's quite a feat...

Cheers,

Erik.

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Well, almost no assistance...

Oliver%20North.jpg

Oily North, a very slippery customer.

I don't for a minute underestimate Iran, which had a nuclear power programme. Nor their ability to pay to have things made on the international black market. Quite amazing the way they've kept forty year old jets in frontline service. Plus they had the stuff that defected from Iraq.

Still on the fence with these F-5 kits, though Gary's inlets might swing it in a few months.

Tony