Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Maybe we could talk you into a tweak list for the TF-104?

I'm afraid the answer is "Nyet".  I haven't got any plans to purchase one of the TF-104G kits. (given my comparatively large stock of 20+ 48th scale Hasegawa F/TF-104 kits)

Basically, my DCA is pretty much the only person entitled (and evidentially able!!) to talk me into things...at least, she told me so...  :D :innocent:

It's left sorta undecided whether Kitty Hawk's R&D team was either wittlingly or unwittingly ignoring some key variables of the universal F-5E equation.

In either case, I suspect there's a system/plan of some sort behind it. :doh:

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

Eduard are bringing out three F-5E sets in October: masks, interior + exterior etch sets.

No preview images have been publshed, but if anything else takes your fancy:

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/distributors/leaflet/leaflet2018-10.pdf

Tony

Edited by Tony T
Usual invocation of edit to activate link

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

Eduard are bringing out three F-5E sets in October: masks, interior + exterior etch sets.

No preview images have been publshed, but if anything else takes your fancy:

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/distributors/leaflet/leaflet2018-10.pdf

Tony

Preview of the upcoming F-5E ZOOM set -  early IP, correctly orientated side consoles. placards and seat improvements:

FN4IVcF.jpg

For sure an improvement over the kit plastic, but not quite what the doctor prescribed. Maybe they're going to release another set with the later IP.

The aftermarket seems to get things going. Which is great news. In principle... 

On verra... 

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

It has been a while since I have been on LSP. 

I haven't read all of the 61 (!!) pages on the topic of Kitty Hawk's F-5, but some info I read is quite interesting. Thank you. I've bought the kit and am in the process of building it, so here's some info from me:

The fit of this kit is really great. The most important fit is obviously the forward fuselage to the aft fuselage, and it is impressive. The fit of the radome to the nose is also fantastic - compare this to the radome of Italeri's Mirage III, which is like 2 mm too large for the fuselage. Also, the wings-fuselage joint is very nice. So, if some of you are interesting in actually building the kit: it is really good!

Of all the Kitty Hawk kits in 1/32, I built all but one and they get better every time. If you want to, it can be built into a convincing model in just a few weeks. I liked the T-6, but it needed some work. The Bronco was better, but needed a spar in the wings. The Sabre Dog was good and the Kingfisher and T-28 were really good. This F-5 is impressive and easy to build.

I like to add details to the models I build and in order to do so, like with any model, you need to do some research. If you do this, you get to info such as Ivan's. But again, you do this with any model from any brand, right? No need to brand. I'm building the "brown" aggressor and if you google the BuNo, you get several photos showing some interesting details, such as the colour of the RWR's or the position of antennas. 

Here is a photo of where I'm at in detailing the cockpit:

540.jpg 

Fit of the 4-part nose, just dry-fitted:

540.jpg

I have skipped the ever returning comments of criticism on the kits (too boring...) and instead been building them over the last couple of years. This experience learned me that the results are not bad at all and that the kits keep getting better. Here's an impression:

540.jpg  

So, my advise is: talk about them, research them, but don't forget to build them. 

Nic

4 minutes ago, Nic C.D. said:

540.jpg  

Some great advice Nic!  I think sometimes we scale modelers get so wrapped up in accuracy, schemes and what is wrong and right with a model, we forget the actual purpose for model kits; to build them. 

Having built all of these kits as well save the Saber Dog and F-5 (will be investing in one soon) I can say I agree 100% with your sentiment on KHM. Each and every release of theirs has gotten better and better.   KHM still does some things engineering wise that make me scratch my head, but with their latest kits like the T-28 and F-5, the major thing I need from a kit is there; overall good accuracy, and a nice building/good fitting kit.

C'mon Gary, we need some intakes!  :lol:

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

So now can Kitty Hawk market their F-5f as a "F-5f/ Kowsar"? :lol:

With all the alleged "inaccuracies" or apparent lack of research by KH, maybe they used the Kowsar as their reference when designing the kit :whistle: