Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

On the Pima tour, we were with Gary from GT resin, who had just picked up one of the F-5 single seaters before leaving for the NATs, and the had at that time not looked at the kit yet. I mentioned that I liked the kit very much, but since there were not only no seemed intakes, there was NOTHING in the cavity were the intakes were supposed to be.

He didn't say anything conclusive but did seem very interested in taking a look at doing some, and seemed like he thought it might be a really good fit for GT reain.

53 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Can someone refresh my mind but didn't black box make a cockpit set out there for the Hasegawa and didn't Verlinden make a update set?  Has anyone heard of someone coming out with a new resin cockpit for the E/F? 

Yes, Black Box made a cockpit and Verlinden made a detail set that included a cockpit as well as parts for the gun bay, both for the Hasegawa kit.

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

...is anyone definitely for sure doing a cockpit that's deeper than a kiddie pool for it??

Is it really that shallow? It's not as if we have to sit in it, and I don't think plastic pilots mind - is the F-5F resin pilot provided stunted? Looks fairly normal to me.

I'm looking for reasons to buy one but peeps keep casting shadows of doubt, so I've been hoovering up 1/48 KH Voodoos instead.

Tony 

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I guess it depends on what you want, but to my eye, the tub is about half as deep as it should be. (...)

3.5 millimetres. That's quite a bit.

1 hour ago, ghatherly said:

Started work on intakes today since none are provided in the kit.   30-60 days out if all goes well.   Will start a thread in GT Resin forum when I get some pics to show.

GH

This is great news! One less thing to worry about...

For USAF, NAVY/MARINES F-5E a set of early NLG doors would also be extremely welcome. The rear NLG door in particular is a totally different animal.

NAVY/MARINES F-5N models alone would need two different instrument panel layouts: pre- and post-GPS mod.

ADF fin fillet, IFR probe... Just saying. 

It will be interesting to see how/if the Tiger II-specific aftermarket will evolve over the next, let's say,  twelve months...

6 hours ago, ghatherly said:

Started work on intakes today since none are provided in the kit.   30-60 days out if all goes well.   Will start a thread in GT Resin forum when I get some pics to show.

GH

This is a very good news indeed !

In addition to these internal intakes as a master of 1/32 resin, can you also do a complete set including cockpit, ejection seats options, ADF fin fillet, In flight refueling probe, various antennaes, etc… ?

As a reference, here is below an illustration of AVM Scale Models of Chile resin kit at 1/72 for the F-5E Tigre III of the Fuerze Aerea Del Chile.

Can you do something similar at 1/32 scale for the Kitty Hawk Kit permitting to correctly build 1/32 F-5E for many Air Forces like Brazil, Chile, Morocco, Mexico, Tunisia, Kenya, etc..etc... ?

It would certainly be a world wide best seller for you !

:) 

SharkOwl   

c0c5dab59d5666fd52291cbd2ebeb85f.jpg

Edited by SharkOwl

Given all the mods and upgrades, there's enough potential to keep smaller aftermarket companies busy for the next two years. In theory...

Whether all of the desired sets/upgrades/corrections would sell well is a different story and will be subject to careful consideration from each manufacturer's individual business perspective. 

Harold already did two seats - sort of generic items (F-5E/F, RF-5E) if you leave out more recent KF-5E/F upgrades, Brazilian AF first-batch F-5Es and "Mike" upgrades and IRIAF F-5E/F models. Gary has just announced to tackle "Trunk-gate" - again, generic item that will go with each of the KH F-5E/F, RF-5E boxings. Potentially sure shots, but Gary and Harold have yet to see whether actual sales figures will meet their expectations/projections.

WARNING: PERSONAL JUDGEMENT:

Further potential "low-risk" options solely based on available and future KH kit marking options:

• ADF fillet - fixing the FAB F-5E and FAM F-5E Kitty Hawk markings, also characteristic for Chilean, Indonesian, Kenyan, Moroccan and Tunisian F-5E/F models.
  • IFR probe - fixing the FAB KH marking option, also characteristic for Moroccan and Tunisian F-5E models.
  • IRQ/BRQ7A seats - fixing the current KH FAB and IRIAF marking options as well as the upcoming IRIAF F-5F markings.
  • F-5N pre- and post-2008 IP layouts - improving/correcting the current KH F-5N marking options, and depending on the timeframe, correcting the ROKAF markings.

The "pre-2008" US NAVY/Marines IP layout is virtually identical with the E1-/E3-coded IPs found in any F-5E aircraft with production RWR installation, e.g. Swiss AF F-5Es.

Note: I'm deliberately leaving out the rather "esoteric" and comprehensive FAB F-5EM, FACH Tigre III and RSAF F-5S/T upgrades.

Upcoming F-5F marking options:

We have yet to see productions sprue shots to determine which IP options will be included. Assuming the recently published F-5F marking options are final, you'd need, technically speaking, at least four different front/rear IP layouts, an F-5F IFR probe and two different seat types (Northrop Improved and IRQ7A). By the way, two of the proposed marking options are RSAF F-5T models.

Once published, actual sprue shots will tell us if they did their math. I, for one, seriously doubt so...

(I think I'll have sauteed Salmon of Doubt for dinner...)

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich