Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

Guest Airfixer

(...)

One thing that I have not seen noted is that the larger nose gear door has a vent in it, which again, is for a late build E, and all F's. An earlier version E wouldn't have it, unless retrofitted.

(...)

Very good point, Fred.

Early/original nose landing gear well and strut doors (not included in the kit):

gpNxaws.jpg

GJwzOJV.jpg

Applicable Kittyhawk marking options: 

• USAF F-5E, 72-1401
  • USAF F-5E, 72-1405
  • FAB F-5E, 74-1589 aka "4835"
  • ROKAF F-5E, 75-0521 aka "50-521"
  • IRIAF F-5E, 74-1431

Late nose landing gear well and strut doors (included):

LDTy9lk.jpg

KKMG8O0.jpg

XkJWVDZ.jpg

9AjyV7i.jpg

Applicable Kittyhawk marking options:

• US NAVY F-5N, 76-1548
  • US NAVY F-5N, 76-1457
  • FAM F-5E 81-0636 aka "4505"
  • RSAF F-5E, 86-0408 aka "873"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-5E Markings Tweak List - Kittyhawk proposed marking options versus kit content/kit plastic: http://forum.largesc...66843&p=1031030

Edited by Airfixer

"Another big issue for some modelers is that only the late style ejection seat/headrest is supplied. If you're planning on using the kits seat and decals, this would rule out all options expect the two VFC-13 adversaries, and the FAM (Mexico) jet. It possibly might work for the South Korean and Jordanian jets, depending on the time frame that the decals depict, but you'll want to check your references for those two. The other jets would have the early seat/headrest. Normally I would consider the issue of the Martin-Baker ejection seat used in Iranian Tigers as something for the aftermarket to contend with, BUT since KH DID supply an Iranian decal option, they could have at least provided the correct seat for it."

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for your kind words regarding my summary of the kit ;0) I'm glad that it was of use, and not just me rambling on.....   One addition that I'd like to make after reading Erik's post about the nose gear door above: While scanning through the color decal options profiles, which is a very nice addition from KH by the way, I totally missed the Singapore jet number 873. This is another jet that the kit accurately represents as it is a very late build F-5E, the second to last actually. From what I've read, 870 to 874 were assembled from a number of spare parts that were left over as production for the Tiger II was ending. So, if you're thinking of building the Singapore Tiger, you're good to go with the kit as is.

I know that several of you are already building this kit. If you have the time, please do post about your experiences with the build process. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do any building until November at the earliest, and it's killing me to just look at the kit in the box  :doh:  I'm hoping that the F is out by that time, and I'll be ALL over it! I've wanted to build NFWS #50 in that Swedish Viggen style camo ever since I photographed it in fresh paint on Topgun's ramp at Miramar back in 1983! But then there's VFC-13 #30 in that crazy two gray tiger scheme...... hmmm.....  Fred K.

In the meantime..... here's some aftermarket suggestions that we might actually be able to use (instead of some of the pointless stuff that gets made)

GPS dome for current USN & USMC adversaries

Early style nose gear door

Closed gun bay doors

Super detailed cockpit set

Extended nose gear strut

Martin-Baker seat for Iranian jets (sorry, I can't think of the seat mark!)

ACMI pod

Anyhting else????

Edited by f5guy

Guest Airfixer

(...)

GPS dome for current USN & USMC adversaries

Early style nose gear door

Closed gun bay doors

Super detailed cockpit set

Extended nose gear strut

Martin-Baker seat for Iranian jets (sorry, I can't think of the seat mark!)

ACMI pod

Anyhting else????

• ADF fin fillet
  • Northrop Standard Seat
  • later RWR-compatible instrument panel
  • Martin Baker BRQ7A ejection seat (mandatory for first-batch Brazilian F-5E's)
  • Martin Baker BR10LF / CL10LF ejection seat (F-5EM and Chilean Tigre III)
  • Martin Baker Mk16T (contemporary South Korean F-5E and KF-5E)
  • KF-5E upgrade set
  • in-flight refueling probe
  • Chilean F-5E III cockpit set
  • Chilean Tiger III RWR fairings
  • Singaporean F-5S cockpit set
  • Brazilian F-5EM cockpit set
  • Taiwanese AF instrument panel
  • Jordanian HUD upgrade
  • upgraded Mexican AF Instrument panel (Trimble GPS)
  • various GPS domes (Mexico/US NAVY/Chile/Brazil)
  • late F-5N cockpit set (post-2008)
  • photo recon nose plus instrument panel upgrade
  • RF-5E conversion
  • NASA F-5E Shaped Sonic Boom Demonstrator conversion (nah...just kidding)
  • those funny Iranian F-5E knock-offs...
  • Python 3/4 AAM
  • Derby BVRAAM
  • MAA-1A Piranha AAM
  • MAA-1B Piranha AAM
  • AIM-9J/P
  • rain removal nozzle array
  • various operator-specific aerials (Taiwan, South Korea, Chile, etc.)
  • thinner and more cleverly designed nozzle shrouds
  • decals, decals, decals...

• plus a gazillion of other things escaping my memory...  :mental:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-5E MArkings Tweak List - Kittyhawk proposed marking options versus kit content/kit plastic: http://forum.largesc...66843&p=1031030

Edited by Airfixer

I hope the aftermarket guys are following this thread and use some of the previous ideas in their production decisions.

All of my most important aftermarket wants are covered by the above two lists (seats, fin fillet, instrument panels, AIM-9J, refueling probe, early nose gear doors);  but OK, I'll add a few:

• intake ducts
  • improved splitter plate photo etch
  • ladder
  • canopy masks

It's a sad state of affairs.   Now that I've got my 'holy grail' kit in hand, I can hardly wait for the aftermarket stuff to catch up.   

Guest Airfixer

While im here , what should i add /remove/ modify for the red 106 ?

Timeframe is the key...

US NAVY F-5N,  76-1557 aka "106" (2007/2008):

• Northrop Improved Seat (included)
  • Sharknose (included)
  • enlarged LERX (included)
  • canopy ECS vent (included)
  • later RWR compatible instrument panel (not included, IP-1310/ALR RWR Azimuth Indicator display)
  • RWR fairings (included/structural kit feature)
  • no VOR/ILS antenna at the top of the vertical tail (moulded-on kit part structure, requires trimming and sanding)
  • no dorsal VHF antenna (optional kit part; if omitted, some minor filling and sanding required)
  • chaff flare dispensers installed (go with the KH kit instructions)
  • late nose landing gear well and strut doors (included)

US NAVY F-5N,  76-1557 aka "106" (post-2008 INS avionics upgrade):

• Northrop Improved Seat (included)
  • Sharknose (included)
  • enlarged LERX (included)
  • canopy ECS vent (included)
  • later revised instrument panel layout (not included, IP-1310/ALR RWR Azimuth Indicator display, LN-260 INS display, etc.)
  • RWR fairings (included/structural kit feature)
  • no VOR/ILS antenna at the top of the vertical tail (moulded-on kit part structure, requires trimming and sanding)
  • no dorsal VHF antenna, GPS receiver antenna instead (not included)
  • chaff flare dispensers installed (go with the KH kit instructions)
  • late nose landing gear well and strut doors (included)

HTH

F-5E Markings Tweak List - Kittyhawk proposed marking options versus kit content/kit plastic: http://forum.largesc...66843&p=1031030

Edited by Airfixer

Awesome thanks ! Now to find some detailed plans for the gps receiver antena . 

I saw the IPs some pages ago . Although not perfect i will do some modifications on the kit IP.

Now i just need the kit ...... soon i hope !

Well, I got my kit today. I'll probably just slap it together as this thread has pretty much sucked dry any enthusiasm I ever had for the kit. One thing I noticed (and maybe it's already mentioned here, but I'm not going through 41 pages to find out) is that the resin exhausts are pretty much useless. They might have been OK, but they have a molding tab on the rear edge of the exhaust where there is supposed to be a thin annular gap between the inner and outer nozzle, which fills that gap where the tab is. Also, one of the two exhausts is poorly molded so the gap is filled in areas even when the tab isn't.

A few more observations.

The Skyspot Antenna on the spine closely behind the canopy is not on the later F-5Es.

tAXzcR.jpg

D6lwt7.jpg

The IFF Antenna right next to the nose landing gear well door is not on the early F-5Es.  It is usually upgraded with the front and rear RWR and CDS at the same time.  See post #601 above to see both configs.

D6g09E.jpg

The battery access door on the starbord avionics bay should be closer to the RWR receiver. 

301SWc.jpg

MUFBOn.jpg

There are older configs wtih two doors on the starboard side, and newer configs with one each on both port and starboard sides, in which case on the port side the acess door would be further back from the RWR receiver.

JgASOs.jpg

The Gravity Fuel Fillers on the spine should be on the port side (as correctly indicated on the KH decal placement guide), instead of on the starboard side.
Ff58pn.jpg

t0Sivh.jpg

NW6bdp.jpg

SC

Now all we need is a tweak list.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Not really. What's needed is to trim these forty-something pages down to the salient fixes, which would take up about three pages of solid, useful info. from Airfixer et al, and then pin it.

Still very tempted but spent my recent pocket money on the new 1/48 ICM Foxbat E direct from the Ukraine.

Will succumb if and when Two Bobs makes the blue Grape Alconbury decals in 1/32. My experiences with Her Majesty's mail have not been so duty free.

Tony

Guest Airfixer

(...)

Still very tempted but spent my recent pocket money on the new 1/48 ICM Foxbat E direct from the Ukraine.

(...)

A valid argument and as an excuse more than acceptable.   ;)

Heads up! KH assembly guide.

STEP 22  (NLG door and gun gas purging system installation)

• Parts E52 and E53 (gun gas purging system intake and exhaust doors)

Parts E52 and E53 are moulded in open position = incorrect.

These doors should be closed. These doors will open up automatically only during gun firing.

g3seh2g.jpg

ieCA6VL.jpg

Suggested fix:

• sand down the lateral supports of the intake and gas exhaust doors
  • slightly deepen the two indicated panel joints using a razor saw or add two notches on the undersides of parts E52/E53 right opposite of the two indicated joints
  • carefully bend down the intake and exhaust doors and glue parts E52/E53 in place

As always: Dry fit twice and sand/notch once to ensure a proper flush-mounted installation

HTH

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

As especially when it comes to kits with known SMEs (like we have with the KHM F-5 and the experten here in this thread) kits can come off as less than desirable (even when they are really decent kits)  when those of us with intimate knowledge and a passion for the airframe get a hold of the kit. This is factual when we all know not every single nuance about any one airframe can be incorporated into a single model kit, especially when its a widely used airframe that went through many, many iterations......................

That all being said, no kit will be perfect, especially one with such a wide variety of flavors, variations and models, but I really like when instead of outright bashing a kit, its positive merits are noted, and any negative ones or problems have fixes suggested instead of just complaints with no solutions. 

Good to see!