Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

"44" was written off in late September 1984. Based on photographs taken between May 1983 and February 1984, BuAer 159882 (AF serial 74-1481) was still flying in early F-5E configuration. I couldn't find any photographs of 159882 showing the aircraft between February and September. Doesn't mean there aren't any... Maybe 159882 had the sharknose and later LERXs retrofitted, maybe not...

Either way...

Even if the sharknose and later LERXs had been retrofitted, you'd still have to trim the VOR/ILS antenna, fill the canopy ECS vent, sand down the RWR bumps and rear fuselage RWR fairing mounting plugs. IP and ejection seat can be used "as is".

HTH

Erik

Maybe it's just laziness on my part, but I don't trust myself cutting the lerx parts. I probably will in the end to do a silver bird, I've just got to get my confidence up. Either that or hunt down a silver or ADC gray bird that takes little surgery to make.

"44" was written off in late September 1984. Based on photographs taken between May 1983 and February 1984, BuAer 159882 (AF serial 74-1481) was still flying in early F-5E configuration. I couldn't find any photographs of 159882 showing the aircraft between February and September. Doesn't mean there aren't any... Maybe 159882 had the sharknose and later LERXs retrofitted, maybe not... 

Either way...

Even if the sharknose and later LERXs had been retrofitted, you'd still have to trim the VOR/ILS antenna, fill the canopy ECS vent, sand down the RWR bumps and rear fuselage RWR fairing mounting plugs. IP and ejection seat can be used "as is".

HTH

Erik

Gents,

I found a shot in my slide collection that I took back in May of 1984, and NFWS #44 does in fact have the duckbill (sharknose) nose cone, and wing root LEXs. So for Spaced Marine, you could build it OOB with the KH kit, just be sure to use the duckbill nose cone, and remove the radar from the instrument panel, and RWR antenna's from the nose, and you're there. HTH, Fred K.

Edited by f5guy

Maybe it's just laziness on my part, but I don't trust myself cutting the lerx parts. I probably will in the end to do a silver bird, I've just got to get my confidence up. Either that or hunt down a silver or ADC gray bird that takes little surgery to make.

SM,

If you did either the sliver or ADC gray 425th TFTS jets, you'd need to cut the LEXs off of the wings. If you don't want to monkey with it, then there are several awesome NFWS options on the Furball sheet that could be done OOB. HTH, Fred K.

Edited by f5guy

I got the kit a few days ago, and noticed that the doors to the fold-out boarding steps and external canopy handle are also on the starboard side when they should only be on the port side.  Hasegawa did this too.  Also the oval panel of the AOA probe is below the canopy emergency release access instead of above.

SC

6EgQVy.jpg

b8jvyv.jpg

D6lwt7.jpg

I got the kit a few days ago, and noticed that the doors to the fold-out boarding steps and external canopy handle are also on the starboard side when they should only be on the port side.  Hasegawa did this too.  Also the oval panel of the AOA probe is below the canopy emergency release access instead of above.  (I would post photos but haven't figured out how to yet.)  You can see these in the photos already posted on this thread.

Great catch SC! Thanks! Fred K.

Looking to acquire this kit as soon as it lands in the UK and to finish it as 73-0897 in the unique - one of a kind! - "Frog" scheme. So with that in mind, I've been looking at the FS numbers 33717 tan, 34052 green, 30111 'chestnut brown' and light grey 35622 and relating them to current Mr. Paint products. So far I've only been able to marry up 35622 as MRP225, the rest have eluded me.

As this scheme was designed to mimic Soviet Frontal Aviation Floggers, any suggestions as to which MRP paints to use as my knowledge and references on Soviet aircraft is very limited.

To me this kit looks as though it'll be a good basis for a decent F5E given a bit of work which, after all, is what scale modelling is meant to be about - isn't it?!

Best regards,

Steve S. 

Guest Airfixer

[EDIT] 17-04-2018

Mystery solved. Found some pics.

Do any of you fine gentlemen happen to have photographs showing the starboard side of 72-1402?

Applicable timeframe: early 1985.

kB4iOne.jpg

Bad Google mojo today...

I need to puzzle out the actual alignment of the stbd side Emergency Entrance Markings.

The aligment varied quite wildly on similar 425th TFTS aircraft between 1982 and 1989.

sAHlLAu.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

Would someone be so kind as to measure the kit seat in width and height? Thanks in advance.

Here you go Harold...

In comparison with the CAM seat.

GNIFvMil.jpg

8sGvDx4l.jpg

j44LIKEl.jpg?1

mfE2UuBl.jpg

And there is two seat in the kit, if you want one, I'll be happy to sent it over budy.

Reggards,

Dan.