Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

Guest Airfixer

Update on F-5E, 72-1405 (1975 timeframe)

JPc2LZV.jpg

LX9Z4eC.jpg

1979 timeframe (different tail band colour, blue instead of yellow):

dzy2RMZ.jpg

Another shot of 72-1405 taken in 1982. Fresh from the paint shop, VOR/ILS antenna and Northrop Improved Seat retrofitted.

Good news. Except for the required LERX surgery and the RWR bumps, you can build this a/c almost straight from the box.

IMHO, one of the less appealing schemes, though...

hkfZLA2.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/Zq6P5d

Edited by Airfixer

True Details offered a 32nd scale F-5E seat set years ago. But I don't know whether it's still in production.

Maybe you'd want to check ebay or Amazon to source one of these sets. 

For future resin aftermarket parts for this 1/32 Kitty Hawk F-5E Tiger II kit take a permanent oversight on KASL Hobby of Taiwan.

In the past they, have produced quite interresting 1/32 parts for Tamiya and Academy F-16 !

And they have produced a lot of 1/48 parts for the AFV Club F-5E/F Tiger II.

All the research is already done at KASL !

KASL Hobby facebook page here : https://www.facebook.com/KASLHOBBY/

B)

SharkOwl

Pleeeze Two Bobs, no generic sets. Just selected scaled-up examples with crew names etc., like the Grape scheme from the Alconbury Gomers sheet.

Thanks

Tony

Really?  I've never seen them on any other slide molded model.  And what about that part is slide molded?  It looks like a simple cavity mold part to me.  That's tooled into the metal - for no reason.  Zero quality control from what I can see.  

Referring back to this photo, it appears that these are two of the nose pieces, with the bottom of the nose facing us. On those bottom surfaces appear to be two deep depressions (one on each side of centerline, vents perhaps, but I really have no idea). These indentations would be next to impossible to create using conventional molding technology, so I assume these nose pieces are slide molded.

I've seen similar slide mold marks on Airfix, Trumpeter, Hasegawa and Revell kits, to name but a few, and all are usually fairly easy to deal with, depending on the quality of the tooling, if not somewhat inconvenient. With any luck at all, I'll be eventually reviewing the kit (or at least that's what I'm counting on), and if so, will have a much better understanding of what's what, when I actually have the kit "in hand".

Guest Airfixer

One thing is for sure:

Whatever it is, it shouldn't be there and should be removed, accordingly. 

gMAVgoe.jpg

However, I noticed these marks were almost always running along the crest lines of curved surfaces. Hence suspecting their presence was in any way moulding-related. The first kits I've stumbled across these marks were the 48th scale Trumpeter Su-15 and RA-5C.

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Airfixer

Another pic...looks like a channel. Also present on the lower fwd fuselage halves. And again, it's not supposed to be there.

The position of the "channel" aft of the radome is indeed somewhat inconvenient...

On Friday I'll know for sure when I see the actual plastic.

VY1ZqFL.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Airfixer

"44" was written off in late September 1984. Based on photographs taken between May 1983 and February 1984, BuAer 159882 (AF serial 74-1481) was still flying in early F-5E configuration. I couldn't find any photographs of 159882 showing the aircraft between February and September. Doesn't mean there aren't any... Maybe 159882 had the sharknose and later LERXs retrofitted, maybe not... 

Either way...

Even if the sharknose and later LERXs had been retrofitted, you'd still have to trim the VOR/ILS antenna, fill the canopy ECS vent, sand down the RWR bumps and rear fuselage RWR fairing mounting plugs. IP and ejection seat can be used "as is".

HTH

Erik