Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

That's the one I've had on standby for a week. The hair trigger on "buy now" is getting more confident after Airfixer's fixes. All you have to do, Tony, is just squeeze very gently...

Currently ogling the Two Bobs Alconbury Gomers 1/48 sheet with the New Blue and Grape schemes, and hoping they'll proceed with a 1/32 version as they have indicated they might - very soon!

This:

http://www.twobobs.net/contents/en-us/p678.html

Tony

edited to add link

Edited by Tony T

Guest Airfixer

"Tony, look into my eyes, look into the eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes...(click)...you're under...hit that "Buy Now" button...3, 2, 1, now you're back in the room."

kenny_craig1.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

F-5E_NFWS_in_flight_with_F-4J_VX-4_1985.

Aaahhhh yes..... NFWS #42! One of my favorites! It was painted up to look like the standard Soviet desert export scheme used on MiG-21's exported to Iraq, Syria, Egypt, ect, and flew with Topgun in this scheme from the early to late 80's before being handed over to VFA-127, where it briefly flew in this scheme with VFA-127 markings. It ended its days with VFC-13 as their #20 as the sole surviving original Topgun F-5E. Note that it has been upgraded with the duckbill (sharknose) nose cone and extended wing root LEXs, just like the KH kit OOB. It did not have a radar, so you'd need to remove the radar screen for the instrument panel. Markings for this jet, and most every other F-5E that NFWS ever flew are available on Furball's awesome sheet 32-002. If you want Topgun F-5E markings, that's the sheet to buy! HTH, FredK.

Edited by f5guy

Only one way to resolve "LERX-gate".

The KH sprue shots clearly indicate a well pronounced panel joint between LERX body and tip.

The good news: the joint is also present on the real thing, and it's common with both LERX types. Quite helpful in determining "where to cut".

Blue line = common joint between LERX body and tip.

Dashed pink line = common LERX body

kbH4JO2.jpg

Step 1: Connect points 1 and 2 = trim line 3.

Step 2: Cut along the trim line = basic (and accurate) contour of the earlier LERX configuration.

Step 3: Sand down the leading edge along the trim line.

Tip: 

Prior to sanding, I usually apply strips of self-adhesive soft PVC tape (3M) to confine the areas subjected to sanding.

(Parallel to the trim line at a distance of two to three millimetres. Sanding materials: 400- to 1500-grit wet-sanding fabric and a glass slab.)

Wet-sanding on a glass slab is quite helpful in achieving evenly shaped and really thin edges.

Step 4: Wait for the aftermarket to chime in.   :whistle:

HTH

Erik

I must admit that I do find it a little hard to believe that KH apparently missed such a major detail as the two different wing root LEX variations on the Tiger. That's a bit of a big oversight! That being said, as Erik has so superbly illustrated (thanks!), it's really not that hard of a fix. No need for resin, just a razor saw and some sanding sticks. I even wonder if KH did this on purpose to cut down the parts count, and tooling costs. Maybe the modification is on the instructions perhaps, since the original round nose cone needed for an early version Tiger IS in the kit? Whatever the case, I can't thank KH enough for putting out the Tiger II in big scale. Seldom has such a widely used aircraft been so completely ignored in all scales by kit manufacturers  :BANGHEAD2:    THANK YOU KH!! Bring on the F! Fred K.

Guest Maxim

I say bring on the F-5F! That's the one I'm waiting for the most.

840456c.jpg

Photo by Fred K. f5guy.

Edited by Maxim

Guest Maxim

Aaahhhh yes..... NFWS #42! One of my favorites! It was painted up to look like the standard Soviet desert export scheme used on MiG-21's exported to Iraq, Syria, Egypt, ect, and flew with Topgun in this scheme from the early to late 80's before being handed over to VFA-127, where it briefly flew in this scheme with VFA-127 markings. It ended its days with VFC-13 as their #20 as the sole surviving original Topgun F-5E. Note that it has been upgraded with the duckbill (sharknose) nose cone and extended wing root LEXs, just like the KH kit OOB. It did not have a radar, so you'd need to remove the radar screen for the instrument panel. Markings for this jet, and most every other F-5E that NFWS ever flew are available on Furball's awesome sheet 32-002. If you want Topgun F-5E markings, that's the sheet to buy! HTH, FredK.

I also like this one the best of the F-5 Single seaters. I was at Miramar in 1985 as a guest of VF-1 and visited Topgun as they shared the same hangar as VF-1. Also seen F-5F no 47 in the wash bay painted in the Iranian scheme.

c16.jpg?pictureId=6632570

Edited by Maxim

Guest Airfixer

Another heads-up: "early" versus "late" canopy.

The KH kit appears to be a born-and-bred late F-5E. Accordingly, the kit features the later revised canopy with the rear (left-hand side only) ECS(?)* outlet. The currently available pictures of the clear parts suggest so.

Again, not much of a big deal. But...

Depending on operator, timeframe, desired marking option and your personal perception of "accuracy", you may want to fill and sand the ECS outlet because the actual aircraft was fitted with an early canopy.

Check your references and try to find photographs of your model. Most ideally taken during the applicable timeframe in order to figure out which canopy was fitted. Some F-5Es retained the early canopies throughout their career, others had the later version retrofitted, etc.

tCU7TCB.jpg

Cheers,

Erik

*ECS = Environmental Control System (pressurisation, ventilation, defogging, air conditioning, etc.)

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Airfixer

By the way...

I really hope Matterhorn Circle will come up with a 32nd scale version of their "Peace Alps Part Two" sheet.

A Swiss F-5E is way on top of my Tiger II bucket list... J-3038 and J-3073 would be spot-on.

Y92QXwW.jpg

JLGcXHN.jpg