Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

Guest Airfixer

Only one way to resolve "LERX-gate".

The KH sprue shots clearly indicate a well pronounced panel joint between LERX body and tip.

The good news: the joint is also present on the real thing, and it's common with both LERX types. Quite helpful in determining "where to cut".

Blue line = common joint between LERX body and tip.

Dashed pink line = common LERX body

kbH4JO2.jpg

Step 1: Connect points 1 and 2 = trim line 3.

Step 2: Cut along the trim line = basic (and accurate) contour of the earlier LERX configuration.

Step 3: Sand down the leading edge along the trim line.

Tip: 

Prior to sanding, I usually apply strips of self-adhesive soft PVC tape (3M) to confine the areas subjected to sanding.

(Parallel to the trim line at a distance of two to three millimetres. Sanding materials: 400- to 1500-grit wet-sanding fabric and a glass slab.)

Wet-sanding on a glass slab is quite helpful in achieving evenly shaped and really thin edges.

Step 4: Wait for the aftermarket to chime in.   :whistle:

HTH

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Airfixer

Don't get me wrong...

I can hardly wait to get my KH kits. Shape and proportions look excellent, surface detailing looks superb, great overall detailing.

Admittedly, a few sink marks here and there, LERXgate, WTF-7 Sparrows, Improved seat only.

Nothing serious.

But for the Painting & Marking guide... 

I haven't got the shlightest clue what has gotten into them (those KH folks in charge) suggesting five (out of nine) marking options that can't be built straight from the box (if you don't care, you can build them straight from the box), either requiring the earlier Northrop seat, the IRQ7A seat or the large fin fillet: FAM "4505", FAB "4835", USAF 72-1401 and 72-1405 and IRIAF 74-1431.

As is, four out of nine options require some decent LERX surgery: USAF 72-1401 and 72-1405, IRIAF 74-1431 and ROKAF "50-521". Beyond that, two of the suggested paint schemes are utterly wrong: RSAF "873" and ROKAF "50-521". 

Dunno.

Maybe they were smoking or licking some of those shirts designs during R&D: https://www.dresslily.com/9006_Full/shirts-c-175.html?lkid=1836329&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIia2F1tec2gIVTZMbCh3Cig2WEAEYASAAEgIXxfD_BwE

KH Painting & Marking Options:

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Airfixer

It's not like we were short of F-5E related aftermarket decal sheets.

Besides, once the KH kit will be available, we will most likely see even more sheets popping up. Not to mention resin upgrades and corrections, etc.

Scale drawings, marking & painting guides and kit instructions: always someone else's opinion.  :innocent:

By the way...speaking of RSAF "873" and ROKAF "50-521".

RASF "873": KH suggests FS36375 and FS36270. Negative. Three shades of grey.

I've got to look up the exact shades. Could be FS36373, FS36495 and FS36440, but I'm not quite sure... (Jennings??)

Voa3vL4.jpg

F-5F from the same batch. Photographed while en route to Prestwick via Keflavik. Better contrast.

W9xMn8l.jpg

ROKAF "50-521: Kittyhawk suggests overall FS36375. But that's only half the truth.

Instead, it should be FS36320 over FS36375. Classical Compass Ghost Gray scheme.

ZvJvLBF.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

Ok excuse my ignorance here. I usually stick to WW2 props, but would I be able to make the kit out of box and use the decals of the Navy Agressor in the multi tone grey scheme with the red and white tail? Or would I have to commence kit surgery? Thanks in advance for the help and education. I know jack about the F5. Just saw the kit and was like...wow...yep need one of those.

Ok excuse my ignorance here. I usually stick to WW2 props, but would I be able to make the kit out of box and use the decals of the Navy Agressor in the multi tone grey scheme with the red and white tail? Or would I have to commence kit surgery? Thanks in advance for the help and education. I know jack about the F5. Just saw the kit and was like...wow...yep need one of those.

If you're talking about the VFC-111 #101 Tiger, then yes, you're good to go with the KH kit. It looks like its one of the few marking options in the kit that is actually correct! HTH, Fred K.

For what its worth:  for the Singapore F-5E 3-tone camouflage, AFV Club 1/48 kit instructions quote FS 36320, 36370, and 36375 as the colors.    There is also a more recent 2-tone gray scheme in what appears to be 36118 and 36270.

Guest Airfixer

The camouflage pattern of "823" (AFV Club) is virtually identical. Different shades with an overall bluish tinge, however.

The batches delivered from 1985 onwards depicted different colours. 

2-tone camo (1996 onwards): F-5S/T -> new cockpit layout/HUD, in-flight refueling probe, etc.

Edited by Airfixer