Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

Guest Airfixer

Can't wait to get my two copies of the F-5E. <drool>

Just what my doctor ordered: shark nose, enlarged LERXs and Northrop Improved seat...

Northrop Standard Seat:

Ex6Hc1A.jpg

Northrop Improved Seat:

sPiyC5g.jpg

The Northrop Improved Seat eventually superseded the earlier model from AF serial 76-1664 onwards.

Curious to find out whether KH will also include both seat types.

:innocent:

W5w00lr.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

I don't see the point of the resin jetpipes which will have to, er, be replaced by resin jetpipes. Styrene would be fine with me, but now it appears I would HAVE to buy replacements.

Still waiting for news about the smaller leading edge fillets and pointy nose - or do we have to wait for a duck nose boxing to get those parts? Sort of, ignore what the picture on the front indicates as the parts are "lucky dip".

Tony

Please guys, wait before shooting in all directions!!!

You do not know what will be the box contents. It will be more appropriate to give fair comments based on what will be in the box and not on assumptions. 

Second that, at the moment nobody can give a fair comment on the contents of the kit. Wait until you got it in your hands to take conclusions :whistle:

Edited by DannyVM

The VNAF most assuredly did have them in country before the end of the war.  Not sure how much, if any combat they saw, but they were definitely there.  This one was gifted to the USSR by the Vietnamese government, and flown at Akhtubinsk in 1976.  SEA camo with Soviet stars and the bort number "10" in red.  The USAF serial remained on the tail.

McEeRu.jpg

That's the second one the VPAF shipped to the Russians.

And from what l read the Soviets were surprised it out flew their much touted Mig 21! They had pilots flying in Nam so they were experienced flyers doing the tests

Hacker

Okay forgive my stupidity but doesn't the shark nose, the angled leading edge (I guess you call them LERX?) and all those little added bumps here and there make this a different model and not an "E"???? :popcorn:

No these remains F-5E's !

As mentionned in a previous topic here :

''the FY85-serialled Bahrain AF F-5Es were the first production a/c to field shark noses and enlarged LERXs. Timeframe: from 1986 onwards.

:popcorn:

SharkOwl

Can this version be used as an aggressor?

Mike

Yes, though it's not clear what parts are included in the box - the test shot is not an indication that only the later E can be built - I can find no rational explanation why folk are jumping to conclusions, there will be parts for the early version in the box otherwise they wouldn't have included the relevant decal options, no?

photos of the sprues are now posted over on Brit Modeller.

My quick scan:

• yes, it has both noses.
  • does not appear to have early LERX (unless there is a provision to trim down the late LERX)
  • nice decal sheet
  • includes closed position fuselage auxiliary air intakes
  • no extended tail fin
  • no refueling probe (unless I just missed it among all the parts in the low-res photos!)
  • no alternative ejection seat (with same above disclaimer)
  • photos are not close-up and too low resolution to comment on details
  • 3 drop tanks:  one large centerline, two smaller wing tank
  • why oh why did they include an AIM-7??
  • some logical common-use stores not included:   AIM-9J,  telemetry pod,  AGM-65, rocket pods

I am so excited about this release I can hardly stand the wait.   Looking forward to reading the review from experts in this community.   And, of course, building a few.  I'm guessing the aftermarket companies will remedy any omissions.    Bring on the station wagon F version!   And the photo bird mebbe?