Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

...Will there be a pointy-nosed option on the sprues?  And perhaps full intake trunking?

I sooo hope so, given what is represented on the box top.

Hopefully two radomes and an etched line in the LERX for easy symmetrical surgery.

Tony

Very nice! I've been waiting for this one for a long long time! Bring on the F KH! It definitely represents a late model E. Hopefully parts will be included for an early version, or at least released again as an early version. So many build options with the F-5E/F  :frantic:  I too like how they did the wind screen, and right along a panel line too. Inside the canopy rails looks great too. Hopefully the option will be there for closed auxiliary intake doors, as those would be closed unless the engines were running. So far so good. I can't wait to get my hands on this one ;0) Fred K.

"The Exhausts look quite unconvincing with a very thick TE and oversized riveting."

There are a couple of pics on the net that show a rather "thick" exhaust section. If someone were to scrib a ring on the end, it'd be pretty close.

https://goo.gl/images/e7HFGg

Ironic as that first photo is one of the ones I went back and referred to, along some walk-arounds I have. But if you're saying all you need to do is scribe a relief to show separate trailing Edge exhaust panel to make it look not so thick, that is hardly the case. The actual F-5's trailing Edge exhaust is real thin sheet metal between the exhaust TE and the liner. The kit Exhaust in scale is about 2 inches or so thick and simply scribing a line segment at the end is going to change that dimension.

Again, I do think there will be AM soon to correct the Exhaust issue, so not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Mike V

Agree, why can't they leave the open panels closed with a recessed line inside so if you want them open you just scribe and cut them out. I'm not a fan of open panels and this would actually deter me from buying the kit. The only exception I make is Tamiya as their panels fit so well.

I think it's an unwritten rule, all 1/32 F-5 kits have to have exposed gun bays, just like the F-86s.... I kid.... I would prefer closed up gun bays, too. I'll still get one, and hopefully an A if they make them. I have a Canadian build in mind, 434 Sq in Aggressor colors.

Don

I think it's an unwritten rule, all 1/32 F-5 kits have to have exposed gun bays, just like the F-86s.... I kid.... I would prefer closed up gun bays, too. I'll still get one, and hopefully an A if they make them. I have a Canadian build in mind, 434 Sq in Aggressor colors.

Don

Sorry my friend but Canadian CF-5 manufactured by Canadair in Montreal were of the ‘'A'' & ‘'D'' models and not the ‘'E'' & ‘'F'' Tiger II type :

CF-5A : Single-seat fighter version for the Canadian Forces, designation CF-116A. 89 built.

CF-5A® : Single-seat reconnaissance version for the Canadian Forces. Built in small numbers. Canadian Forces designation CF-116A®.

CF-5D : Two-seat training version for the Canadian Forces, CF-116D. 46 built.

The good news is it seems Kitty Hawk future projects after :

the 1/32 F-5E/F Family ;

the 1/32  Mirage 2000 C/B/N/D family ;

and

the 1/32 Sepecat/Bae Jaguar Gr.1/T.2/A/E family ;

could very well be a 1/32 Freedom Fighter F-5A/B/C/D family.

But it will be in a 2 to 3 years timeframe.

:popcorn:

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl

Don

Oh yea, you hit the nail square on the head with that "unwritten rule". Dissapointing yes, but same here: it's not enough to sway me from getting one.

Mike V

It seems so strange for me once Kittyhawk showed a box art and decals options for the early type F-5E, and now shows photos of a different model.  With this parts the box art and decals are completely wrong and the modeller can buy one thing and so get other.  I think it is not cool...  I do not like buy a kit waiting for resin conversions / corrections.   Perhaps the early type could be another box, like their pair of Broncos, F-86 and T-28.   But this is not so clear at this moment.

Edited by FCM

We're not shooting, just raising flags.

I can't see any break in or near the LERX, suggesting that is the one wing. The only OOB solution would be two sets of wings (not impossible but unlikely) or score marks on the inside allowing them to be cut back with accetable precision and symmetry (which would work, but which I doubt are there).

Without the pointy radome in the box I'm out. Sanding the duckbill version back is not as easy as you think in 1/32 scale. A bit like cutting hair - whoops, bit too much there, so more off here to even out; oops, now a bit more off there, and so on until it's a crew cut.

Otherwise, the kit looks pretty spectacular and I'm in for a two.

Tony

Guest Smitty44

It could just be me but it appears there is a separation that follows the path of the wing/leading edge slats to the fuselage. Seems to look a little different than the panel lines.

Ironic as that first photo is one of the ones I went back and referred to, along some walk-arounds I have. But if you're saying all you need to do is scribe a relief to show separate trailing Edge exhaust panel to make it look not so thick, that is hardly the case. The actual F-5's trailing Edge exhaust is real thin sheet metal between the exhaust TE and the liner. The kit Exhaust in scale is about 2 inches or so thick and simply scribing a line segment at the end is going to change that dimension.

Again, I do think there will be AM soon to correct the Exhaust issue, so not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Mike V

That is exactly what I was saying could be done, however, that might be moot.  As I was going back and looking at Pic 5 (underside) trying to figure out how you came up with "2 inches", I noticed  that the pipes appear to be segmented already which would mean no need to scribe!