HPH news

Flipper

Need to get my head around some type of CAD software (preferably very cheap and not excessively complex) to prototype 3D designs such as coin faces. No, I'm not planning on counterfeiting anything. But I have Win 10 which I loathe slightly more than everything else inbetween since Win XP. Maybe Cortana can do it all for me.

As for HpH, I wonder how much the SR-71A will cost. I've been spending the past week walking around muttering Habooo, Flankerdee, Aardvark and Speytoom. Who would have expected such big beautiful jets in 1/32 scale even three years ago?

Tony

I'm working on a film at the moment using 3 Formlabs SLA printers, the quality of the parts is very good but doesn't match my CNC machines in terms of the amount of clean up required for a perfect master part.

The issues with 3D CAD is that a lot of the time the models have to be Watertight and when they aren't even when your CAD work is perfect its almost impossible to correct. That's with 25 years of experience...

Graham

What are your issues with Windows 10? I'll be adding it to a new PC I'm building in the next few months.

Lack of control, the start "apps" menu freezing.

I placed everything I need as shortcuts on the desktop in the old fashioned way, including a shortcut to my documents folder, and would have been totally stuffed had I not done that.

There is a way of backdating the appearance but the main requirement is to get rid of all the totally unnecessary crap.

I'm not an IT person and am still coming out of a very serious breakdown so my adaptability isn't what it used to be.

Tony

What are your issues with Windows 10? I'll be adding it to a new PC I'm building in the next few months.

Its windows is a good start.

Having been using Mac for 10 years i just had to get a new windows based PC for some work related stuff using 10.

The only positive is it makes me realise why I love my Mac so much.

It works, its simple and it works.

Now where is this 1/32 SR-71 i really hope they do justice to what is easily the most iconic aircraft of the 20th century.

Bring it on...intrigued to see how it all plays out.

A good point as a great deal of small detail is omitted from tiny models like 1/72 but would appear very well in 1/32. So a direct upscaling would have faults. 

But it would be a start and a modeler could then add on the details he wants.

Personally I do not care about all the small details so a scaling up of a 1/72 part to 1/32 would not bother me.

I can't even imagine being happy with a kit upscaled to 1/32 from 1/72. The extra details available in good 1/32 kits is pretty much the main reason I like 1/32.

As the early Mustangs in 1/32 (Hobbycraft?) upscaled from the 1/48 Accurate Miniatures Mustangs show, direct upscaling doesn't produce very satisfying results.

Oh? So you are saying that the early injection molded kits by Revell, Hasegawa, Monogram, Williams Brothers and a few other manufacturers are not injection molded kit like today's?

Specifically, what are the differences in "business models" between those early kits and today's, pray tell?

He was comparing modern resin (HpH) and modern injection molded plastic kits. He wasn't comparing modern plastic vs old plastic.

I can't really recall THAT many 'esoteric' subjects released in plastic in the old days, other than a handful. Especially in larger scales.

But it only makes sense that as modeling becomes a less and less mainstream hobby, and kits become more and more complex, and demands for accuracy get more and more intense, it will naturally make less and less sense for companies to release kits of subjects with limited appeal, which may also be hard to research if they are truly obscure.

I only have so much space and budget for large scale kits. You can bet that I'll buy the iconic, well known stuff FIRST, and obscure things only afterwards. If I see Mustangs and Spitfires and Corsairs at airshows, I'll be all fired up to get kits of those when I get home. And then I see a Sea Fury at an airshow, and now I really want one. Very glad that one is in the works from Special Hobby.

Please don't. When they get over a certain page count they become an unnavigable stream of quickly outdated consciousness.

Tony

I am sorry, but I do not understand your point.  Do you mean that everyday making of new threads would make clearer arrangement of the entire forum?

Edited by Jan_K