Major changes to convert F-16CJ to Israeli F-16C block 40

brianhahn

Everyone,

I have the 1/32 Tamiya F-16CJ (block 50) kit in possession and would really like to convert it to an Israeli F-16C.  I've read quite a few threads on LSP, but am trying to determine exactly how far down the road I am and what all will still be needed to have a reasonable complete/accurate finished model.

So far, best I can tell, I could do a block 40 aircraft with the parts in the box.  I believe that the IDF version has the following:

Same big mouth inlet as block 50

Same exhaust nozzle/cone as block 50

Same smaller HUD as block 50 (even though USAF versions use a "WAR-HUD)

Same larger wheels/tires/lg doors as block 50

Differences I've noted are:

Extended tail housing (can Academy kit housing be grafted successfully?)

Very large ECM bumps on side of nose

Different ECM bumps/nav lights on side of intake

A few armament options not US-manufactured

I'm aware that some of these items have been produced by Isradecal/Isracast, but it appears that much of it almost impossible to find.  So, just what am I getting myself into?  Is this doable, or is the lack of conversion stuff really gonna keep me from getting to the finish line?  I also know that the T-bird kit might be a better potential starting place, but economics will prevent that from happening.

All thoughts are appreciated!

Edited by brianhahn

Dave (and others),

Thanks for that link...I've looked at it and it would definitely be the way to go, but I'm concerned that the Isracast stuff will be impossible to find and I'll have to resort to plan B (and we haven't even started talking about the decals).  Some of those items look like I could scratch build if I had to, but don't want to if I can avoid it.  

Are there any other glaring changes that I or Dave haven't listed?

Has anyone tried grafting a spare Academy extended tail onto the Tamiya kit?

Guest Peterpools

A few more links to F-16C Barak builds:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=44560

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=46974

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/f-16-barack/

I'm looking forward to you build as I plan on hopefully building the Barak with the Tamiya kit later this year. Right now, I'm knee deep in the Sufa saga.

Peter

Indeed you better start from the block 50 kit. I built a Barak a few years ago, with the Isracast conversion, and as far as i remember, the conversion was not very complicated, and must be done from scratch if you have some minimal scratchbuilding skills. 

If i remember correctly, the conversion was made of various specific antennas (on the nose and intake sides), 4 fairings on the intake, parabrake tail fairing, and also something on the belly (a kind of louvre, i guess). And of course the decals.

I even had to redo some parts as there were a few flaws of fit issues (i remember working on the nose side antennas).

If it could help, here is my RFI thread (sorry for the crappy pictures, but it was my first 1/32 build in 2010, and so the pictures are pretty old now). You can find in the thread a link to the WIP thread, but it's written in french. If you need any information or translation, dont hesitate to ask me.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=46974

EDIT : i just saw that the WIP thread doesn't go through the whole building process and doesnt even show any of the Isracast parts. But i have some parts that i never posted. Let me know if it could be of some help.

Edited by Zero77

Guest Peterpools

Hi Nicolas

In my post right before yours, I listed your build thread as a terrific reference. I'm planning on building a Barak later this year and have had your build book marked as a must have reference.

Peter