GMC CCKW 2-1/2 Ton Truck

LSP_K2

Definitely the square one.  Trucks are square.  Makes sense to me.   :hmmm:

Well, the shape is only really relevant to what I'll be trying to accomplish for the long term, which is to create at least one of possibly two or three generic bases to display armor related models on. This one will be an urban setting, with destroyed building remains and rubble. I had several Custom Dioramics and Varlindun building remnants, but sadly, most did not make the move here, apparently, so for the moment at least, I'll resort to an Italeri wall section. I do have lots of debris and stuff though.

In my ongoing (and seeming never ending) photo sorting on my PC (21.7GB of photos), it's sometimes a bittersweet experience. Two months before I moved from my house, I discovered these five new packages of Tauro diorama materials "hiding" in my paint booth area. I now realize that nothing in this photo, was actually moved here with me, having been lost somewhere in the process. I've done a brief search, and the Tauro accessories seem to no longer be available, at least not as far as I can tell.

hr%20002_zpswc6kqnuz.jpg

Kev, that's a heartbreaker ... I feel for you buddy.

Jim

Yep, it sucks, but there's not a lot that I can do about it now. Anyway, with the base dressed out a bit, I went ahead and sprayed it with texture paint. I think the paint has gone bad, as it won't coat worth a darn, and stinks something awful, producing a stench that is the worst I've ever smelled from a paint. Even outside, with a breeze at my back, spraying this stuff makes me gag.

base%202%20003_zps86hq4rp3.jpg

Even though the Italeri building remnant is OK, I think I still have some sections of 1/2" Balsa-Foam here somewhere. Assuming I do, when I find it, I'll probably just make a new wall section from it. If I don't find it pretty soon, I'll just go ahead and order some more as soon as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I lucked out and found my Balsa-Foam segments (I was pretty sure they were here, somewhere), so now I'm good to go to build the wall remnant I want for this display. These are1/2†thick, so roughly twice as thick as necessary, but I'll work that out. I'm a happy guy.

bf_zpscg0wxurs.jpg

Agree, the pigments on the tyre look good and even the color is unusual but certainly not out of place.  Nice!  

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with that base as well.  Was very disappointed at the Feb Fine Scale Modeler issue that purported to show 'Build a Base' really had very LITTLE to how to build a base.  Oh well.

Looking forward to the next update.

Chris

Looks good Kev ... agree the pigments look great on the tyre.

Jim

Thanks a bunch. I like it too, though I'll end up going with more of a light gray (as well as dried mud), as this will be an urban scene.

Agree, the pigments on the tyre look good and even the color is unusual but certainly not out of place.  Nice!  

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with that base as well.  Was very disappointed at the Feb Fine Scale Modeler issue that purported to show 'Build a Base' really had very LITTLE to how to build a base.  Oh well.

Looking forward to the next update.

Chris

Thanks, but don't expect all that much. I hope it will look acceptable, but scenery and such, is something I'm not really very good at.

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Just finished catching up, reading through from page one to present. Thoroughly enjoying following your progress as this venue of the hobby is all new ground for me.  From my model railroading days, I very found of scenery work and looking forward to your scenic touches. I have to admit painting has always been my favorite part of any build but "a spritz of paint" that surely is a new technique for me! :doh:

Keep 'em coming

Peter

After dinking around for two weeks, doing nothing hobby related, I finally got back to this today. This is but one step of several, that hopefully will net a nice result. Here I've lightened the base OD and spritzed some around in a rather random fashion, hopefully breaking up the monotony, and starting to represent more of a used appearance.

mod%20002_zpsoilqfchw.jpg