Ryan

1/32 A-10 Forward Fuselage

I am in, you have my commitment to order a couple of sets.  I would be surprised if we ever  see another A-10 released in 1/32 so the Trumpeter kit is what we have to work with.

KJ 

Ok, we all agree we want it and we'd buy it. My question is this, is anyone working on this correction set or going to be working on it? it's all conversation, but is there a chance of this being done? Anyone know?

Chuck

As soon as I can find a Detail & Scale w/scale plans and the two Trumpy fwd fuselage halves I will work on that nose... but I do not know how to make silicone rubber molds and resin casts.

Edited by Luca

As soon as I can find a Detail & Scale w/scale plans and the two Trumpy fwd fuselage halves I will work on that nose... but I do not know how to make silicone rubber molds and resin casts.

That's definitely not the most difficult operation, especially for this kind of large part like a nose. You put your master in a box (with clay to hold it in the bottom of the box for example), you pour the rubber, let is cure. Then you remove the master, pour the resin and you have your resin part. As the part is lage and kinda conical, you should be able to pour the resin very slowly and no bubble would be trapped anywhere, even without any pressure device, and the demoulding would be pretty easy.

Edited by Zero77

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying the process, but cant the 1/48th Monogram A-10 kit be assembled and then scanned for a 3d print (that the mold can be based on)?

Software could then be used to pull and stretch the rear contours of the Monogram kit to match the Trumpeter bird?

I'll go grab my magic wand.

That's definitely not the most difficult operation, especially for this kind of large part like a nose. You put your master in a box (with clay to hold it in the bottom of the box for example), you pour the rubber, let is cure. Then you remove the master, pour the resin and you have your resin part. As the part is lage and kinda conical, you should be able to pour the resin very slowly and no bubble would be trapped anywhere, even without any pressure device, and the demoulding would be pretty easy.

thanks, never done it. Eventually I would urge another person to do the mold and the casting ... the only thing that you said was that the piece would come "full" inside, but it would not be a bad thing because it would be firmer and even self-balancing (for the weight of the model), without the use of lead balls

I guess another poor mans way would be to slice up a Monogram a-10 every 1/4-1/2" on a band saw, then trace the contours and enlarge to 32nd scale.

You could then eyeball and massage the contours to fit the sliced off Trumpeter fuselage.

OR send the Monogram fuse section to a 3D printing outfit to scan to software that could be manipulated to fit the Trump kit.