1/32 Roden O-1 Bird Dog

Viking73

Good Morning,

This will be my WIP Thread for the new Roden O-1 Bird Dog kit. 

IMG_7268_zpsu67c9m0w.jpg

I'm going to use the beautiful new AOA Decals for this build.  I wasn't sure what scheme I wanted to finish my Bird Dog in so I had to decide which sheet to order first.  I thought about a VNAF Bird Dog and while I'm still not 100% sure but I did narrow it down to a gray USAF machine.

I'm also going to use Airscale Decals to dress up the IP:

IMG_7426_zps7nojjaou.jpg

I don't have a whole lot done yet to show you all, but here's where I'm at now.

I started with the kit IP since I was dying to use the Airscale Decals for the first time.

IMG_7279_zpsqqrx7q93.jpg

Going by the walk around photos here and also the IP shot in the Squadron "In Action" book (see page 33) I decided to go with an overall gray panel with some interior green bits.  This make sense to me because the "F" and "G" models were rebuilt/modified "A" and "D" airframes.

So I shot some paint and the panel and broke out the small tipped brush and toothpicks for the instrument bezels.

IMG_7418_zps17nctrnp.jpg

I was a bit worried that the 1/32 Airscale Decals would be too big.  Luckily, they worked out just fine.  They really make the IP pop for sure!

IMG_7422_zpsokjxspry.jpg

I was very happy with the way it turned out.  I also used some 1/72 decals for the decal stash/dungeon to fill out the rest of the panel details.

Next up, I'm assembling some of the basic cockpit parts in preparation for the interior green paint:

IMG_7424_zpsn6f8nsme.jpg

My control forward stick was broken on the sprue <sigh> so I'll have to glue it back together once I've cleaned it up:

IMG_7423_zpsyc2sj2mu.jpg

I've also started some work on the engine, trying to be careful of the mounts per Ron's notes.  My intake was short shot so I'll have to do something about this:

IMG_7420_zps3a4k9vjn.jpg

IMG_7419_zpsjvmxayua.jpg

That's about where I'm at now.  I'm going to paint the seats and also shoot some interior green today on the rest of the cockpit once it warms up a bit.  I'm planning what details I'm going to add to the interior now as well.  At minimal, I want to add the radio gear and compass in the front windscreen.  Also the cockpit lights and some wiring.  I'm not sure what if anything I'll do with regard to the interior padding.  I might not do anything.  I did orders some nice looking seat belts from an outfit in Hong King from eBay.  However, it's been almost a month now and I haven't received them so I am thinking about ordering another set of belts from Hannants...

I am really hoping that I can leave the wings off and paint the fuselage and wings separately and then add the wings once everything is done.  That would make detailing the cockpit and masking off the clear parts so much easier!  Not sure if this is possible but I'm sure going to try it.

Thanks for looking at my progress so far.  More soon, I promise.

-Derek

Looking very nice indeed Derek,

Hope to see more soon.....With regards to the belts you speak of, is there any for the Birddog? ....I was thinking of using masking tape.....for mine...........but if I can get belts elsewhere might just consider them...........those placards add dimension to the panel.....

I need to check my intake too.....I left the engine parts as is after Ron's advise, for a later stage...........

Hope to see more soon

Rgds

Brian

Looking very nice indeed Derek,

Hope to see more soon.....With regards to the belts you speak of, is there any for the Birddog? ....I was thinking of using masking tape.....for mine...........but if I can get belts elsewhere might just consider them...........those placards add dimension to the panel.....

I need to check my intake too.....I left the engine parts as is after Ron's advise, for a later stage...........

Hope to see more soon

Rgds

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the kind words.  Your interior is helping me plan mine and your work is inspiring my build.

As for the seat belts, no there isn't a specific set for the O-1.  Any set of U.S. seat belts will do.  Here is what I have decided to order:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HGW132015

They are some type of fabric which should be easier to work with than photo-etched belts which are tough to use IMHO.  The only tricky part is how the belts are mounted in the O-1 cockpit.  For one, the front seater's shoulder harness comes up through a triangular shaped bar that hangs from the ceiling.  This part isn't in the kit of course so I'll have to scratch build that...    

I did get the interior and seats painted today.  I hope to have another update soon. 

-Derek

Edited by Viking73

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the kind words.  Your interior is helping me plan mine and your work is inspiring my build.

As for the seat belts, no there isn't a specific set for the O-1.  Any set of U.S. seat belts will do.  Here is what I have decided to order:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HGW132015

They are some type of fabric which should be easier to work with than photo-etched belts which are tough to use IMHO.  The only tricky part is how the belts are mounted in the O-1 cockpit.  For one, the front seater's shoulder harness comes up through a triangular shaped bar that hangs from the ceiling.  This part isn't in the kit of course so I'll have to scratch build that...    

I did get the interior and seats painted today.  I hope to have another update soon. 

-Derek

Yes thanks Derek....I will consider getting them .....but like you said the mounting of them is going to be tricky .....with the wonderful fitting as what is in the box, its going to be challenging to juggle the parts for me.....:) 

Thanks alot for the kind words....I hope to see more of yours built up too.....happy bird dog building.....

Rgds

Hi,

I think it's about time for another update on this one. I've made some pretty good progress on the interior this week.

Things started off simply with a coat of Model Master Interior Green and Model Master SAC Brown for the seats:

IMG_7432-CROP_zpsavrbjkta.jpg

While that was drying, I made up a first aid kit to mount behind the rear seat:

IMG_7433-CROP_zpsirymxtvm.jpg

Also, I scratched up some radios. I used some resin blocks I had laying around and added some old Reheat photo-etch generic instrument placards. They look pretty good under a coat of paint.

IMG_7437-CROP_zps8rbskubd.jpg

Once the interior paint was dry, I gave it a good oil wash of Payne's Gray. I then started to add some details here and there with various bits of wire. Here is the left side of the fuselage:

IMG_7497-CROP_zpsxasmpyh5.jpg

The map light was made by wrapping some wire over a small drill bit to get the coiled wire. The light itself is a small piece of scrap plastic. I have a couple more made up for the cabin but I don't think I'll install them until the final assembly.

The right side:

IMG_7499-CROP_zpsidcyo4nl.jpg

I made the "Data Case" decal on my inkjet printer using Testors clear decal paper. It's supposed to be in yellow but that didn't show up against the interior green very well so I settled for black letters.

Here is the cockpit floor so far:

IMG_7501-CROP_zpsbqrn7dz6.jpg

And the rear seat with the first aid kit installed:

IMG_7502-CROP_zpsl72kowef.jpg

I should be getting my seat belts in with my Hannants order sometime this week. I need to add the lap belts to the floor board, so I'll have to scratch up the mounting brackets for them. Once that is complete, I think I might be able to glue the fuselage halves together.

Thanks for looking.

-Derek

Edited by Viking73

Really nice work going on there......I hope you don't mind but some ideas will be "stolen" hahahahahah

Any ideas on the internal yellow on the windows ? is the version you are doing having that too.....

I hope to settle my interior before weeks end....If I .....can

Hope to see more soon.....

Rgds

Brian

Really nice work going on there......I hope you don't mind but some ideas will be "stolen" hahahahahah

Any ideas on the internal yellow on the windows ? is the version you are doing having that too.....

I hope to settle my interior before weeks end....If I .....can

Hope to see more soon.....

Rgds

Brian

Hi Brian,

Please - steal away!  :)

I hadn't really thought about the yellow around the windows honestly...  I do need to think about that one. 

Looking forward to seeing your finished interior so you can tackle the engine,

-Derek