"Wish list" stats (just for fun)

LSP_K2

OK, folks, just for giggles (and because I'm especially bored), I've finally done what I'd suggested I'd do for quite some time now, and have collated all of the more relevant data from this thread, mostly to satisfy my own curiosity. Unusual and totally bizarre requests for 1:32 C-5 Galaxies and the like, were summarily ignored as being quite useless for this assessment. Not very scientific I'll admit, nothing at all scientific about it in fact, but just done for fun.

The results are really quite interesting, I think. Of the 196 basic types requested, 42 have been kitted in fairly recent years (the last five or so), and that equates to roughly 21% having come to fruition, or are at least currently in definite planning stages, from one manufacturer or another, sometimes multiple manufacturers. I have only included what we might refer to as more mainstream manufacturers, dismissing all resin kit types, as I believe they do not accurately reflect mainstream purchasing desires for the majority of us. (Note: Many of the kits requested on this list, are in all probability never going to see the light of day as mainstream injected kits (strictly my personal opinion), but some are included anyway, just out of consideration of variety. If it were up to me, I'd probably eliminate 70% of these entries from any reasonably serious contention as being entirely too frivolous. I have also, for the most part, eliminated sub, sub variants, as there is a diminishing likelihood of those specific variants being produced, though possible, I guess. Make no mistake, not every kit mentioned has made this list, as many of those were frequently so bizarre as to warrant exclusion. By and large, what remains are kits that were frequently or repeatedly asked for (not only in this thread, but similar threads that have appeared on LSP (and elsewhere) over the years, and continue to arise from time to time).

It quickly becomes fairly evident that manufacturers do pay attention to the pleas from “our kindâ€;… I can conclude nothing else, as chalking these results up to pure coincidence, would also be purely ignoring the evidence.

It's quite possible that I may have missed one (or more) manufactured kits from the list, as I'm not a walking encyclopedia of what has and what has not been produced, but I believe this list to be fairly complete and accurate. Interesting stuff.

LSP%20Kit%20Wish%20List_Page_1_zpstxy6a4

LSP%20Kit%20Wish%20List_Page_2_zpsieqvyk

LSP%20Kit%20Wish%20List_Page_3_zps5gezig

K2, you missed the Kingfisher by Kitty Hawk.

It really does show what's come out over the last few years in IM kits, never mind the resin ones too as Kevin mentioned.

Carl

It's on page 2, right hand side, and yes, if the resin kits were to be included, the percentage would jump even higher still.

First thanks for the compilation.

I agree that some are real long shots and in all probability not real contenders.  However a lot appear to be viable candidates.

For example the Ju 88 G, considering Revell's penchant for Luftwaffe night fighters and their superlative bomber version, it seems odd that they have ignored the fighter variants thus far.

A Ju 88 G would be very cool, but I would happily settle for any solid nosed incarnation.  Maybe in 2018...  

Ju_88_G_6.jpg

There were a few multiple listings in there (Ki-43 and B-58, for example). For a list that originated less than six years ago, the number of holes that have been filled is remarkable.

I'm afraid that was almost inevitable, as I went strictly by what was asked for, never cross checking designations and names, looking for doubles.

Ki-45 and Nick are the same...

Saab 29 Tunnan (in planning) Fly also Fw56.

G50 is that Fiat G.50? Special Hobby.

Cool, thanks. The comment above yours, applies to the Ki-45/Nick. The others I was unaware of. Sifting through 20 pages of that stuff, was a mind numbing exercise.

Tan Model have an F-111 and T-38 in planning, albeit likely a long haul.

I may have missed it but I'm sure I'm not the only one hankering after a Saab J.35 Draken.

Hopefully another 21% will be out or in planning in five years - as long as it isn't the Trumpeter brand of Devastator planning.

Tony

I'm not sure there is cause and effect here. We may have been jumping up and down for those kits, but that doesn't mean we had any influence in getting them kitted.

It may well be that larger research has indicated a market for a particular model, in which case we are just a small part of the equation.

And as the number of unkitted, or not very well kitted, aeroplanes falls, statistically there is a greater likelihood that a particular kit will be made, as it's part of a shrinking pool of possibilities.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

I'm not sure there is cause and effect here. We may have been jumping up and down for those kits, but that doesn't mean we had any influence in getting them kitted.

It may well be that larger research has indicated a market for a particular model, in which case we are just a small part of the equation.

And as the number of unkitted, or not very well kitted, aeroplanes falls, statistically there is a greater likelihood that a particular kit will be made, as it's part of a shrinking pool of possibilities.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

I agree in principal. Nothing here implies that models are specifically released because we beg for them, but I have no doubt that some of the releases are due in part to these sort of lists.