1/32 Birddog

Mr b

Thanks alot guys

next will tackle the seats and the cabin clear parts.....I think....................

Anthony - Cheers mate............each time I see your Skyhawk it reminds me how I should be building a NZ bird.......any ideas as to the high viz roundels and 3 tone camo for a skyhawk trainer in 1/32.....a mate gave me his to build for an upcoming local g/b

Best Regards and Happy Modelling.........all

Brian

Mike Swinbourne just asked me the same question about pre-Kahu Skyhawks as well. Ronin Decals was going to do them but I don't know when. Pay to ask on their fb page.

Keep up the great work buddy! I am away camping at the moment and it is nice to log in and check out LSP in my down time!

Cheers Anthony

Thanks alot guys

I tought so ...it will be ADC grey....but Gunze does not have it out of the bottle...I might have to mix and match......

How are the window fitting?  Too big as Ron pointed out?  I'm not looking forward to that...  :(

Too early to tell myself..thinking on how to work the yellow interior of the windows now......the "lazy" way possible..........

Thanks Peter...the buttoning is what I am worried about.....:)

and Anthony yes I will have a look see...........enjoy camping bud.....and hope to see you back at your scooter soon.....

rgds to all

Brian

Thanks sir

Its the lunar new year celebration in my part of the world....so we got days off....but not much of modeling was holidaying with the family.

I did however get the sides together. I did not add anymore stuff which i planned to from dereks build.

Fitting issues start. The pics will tell the tail i guess. I put in the rear windows not a great fit n the main side windows does not fit as per ron's headsup. Trial on the front n rear clear parts also look iffy at best.

C204F840-0083-4D9B-8FD5-C3EF5F0CCDF0_zps

B2468EF9-44F8-4718-801F-BA7CF15E2C1E_zps

63534D42-CDCA-41D1-B0AD-A83E8FDB15C3_zps

8131B975-EED7-4531-A61D-44377A76B594_zps

thanks guys n have fun modelling

Rgds

Brian

Cheers guys

It does look like a train wreck for now and my objective is to try and finish it ..i tried a mock up as below....

72EADC72-B6BF-412D-B2D4-DBD72DF6542B_zps

I think with some coaxing it will all fit. Lets hope. I plan to have some bench time later if all goes well. If any significant decelopment will post accordingly

Rgds

Brian

Edited by Mr b

Hi Brian,

Looking good sir.  Nothing a little putty won't take care of on those seams.  I am still waiting on my seat belts to arrive.  Looks like today finally...!   I have been working on the wings, prop, and wheels in the meantime.

How does the wing fit onto the fuselage?  My initial plan is to leave them off until after painting to ease masking of the clear parts and cockpit.  It would be great to install all that glass after painting.  But - if the fit is horrible that might not work which would be a bummer.

Keep going!!   Looking forward to see more.

-Derek

Great job, Brian.

Is it me or do the wings need some dihedral?

Thanks sir, I believe there is a slight dihedral....I suspect it will be more pronounced with the wing supports.

i think with some work and a tub of putty it'll be fine.

We're the fuse halves warped or anything, like cupped?

Yes sir.....not warped.....I first thought it was my sound quilting......but I trimmed that....n the floor sits flush.....maybe it's the firewall......anyways.....it's all closed up.....just some fine sand rescribing n some surfacer......the front bits is still as is as the engine n front will be tackled later....

Hi Brian,

Looking good sir. Nothing a little putty won't take care of on those seams. I am still waiting on my seat belts to arrive. Looks like today finally...! I have been working on the wings, prop, and wheels in the meantime.

How does the wing fit onto the fuselage? My initial plan is to leave them off until after painting to ease masking of the clear parts and cockpit. It would be great to install all that glass after painting. But - if the fit is horrible that might not work which would be a bummer.

Keep going!! Looking forward to see more.

-Derek

Yes.....I hope you will have better luck......with seams......I agree I would also like to keep the wing off but ....it's more or less have to go on ....too much of a risk....as the front windscreen n also the rear needs sanding and on my copy the rear part of the wing must be pressured to form the required shape to mate with the fuselage curves.....I hope u get what I am trying to say......

My suggestion, test fit on yours n make the decision......if yours is anything like mine, it's wings and final assembly before painting.

Hope to see progress on yours too

Rgds and happy modeling to all

Brian

Brian, Derek - For what it's worth the wing fit turned out to be OK (almost a snap fit) and the wing assumed its slight dihedral once it "clicked" in place.  The wing needs to inserted straight downward into the fuselage.  I needed to spread the fuselage top slightly and then the wing dropped into place.  All glass except the windscreen and rear closure needs to be in place before adding the wing.  My rear enclosure fit pretty well with just a little trimming/sanding.  The  windscreen/wing/fuselage join needed some work at the top where the leading edge of the wing is supposed to match an airfoil shaped cutout at the top of the windscreen.  After much trial fitting and trimming the end result turned out OK.  IIRC I started by placing the the top of the windscreen and then rotating the windscreen downward until it "clicked" in place.  Sorry I have no photos to show but I am not a photo bucket fan.  Mine is ready(minus the engine) for gloss coat and AOA decals.  The exhausts were glued to the firewall and I made a plug for the propeller shaft hole so I could mount the prop.  The Vietnamese craft I am doing has whip antennas at the upper surface of the wing tips but I may forego those just to get this off the workbench to make room for my WNW Taube.  Kidding, just kidding (until I can order one or two.)

Hang in there - both of yours are turning out better than mine.

Edited by OldTroll

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ron

Been busy the whole of last week and managed sometime last night and tday. The wing is on as with the front and rear screens (not without its assiciated drama) had a gap on the top mating of the clear part n the wing....

9AEFFDFD-4C21-48B6-9A11-5E1ACEAFFFC5_zps-7E04E6891D32_zpsyhsyxsnr.jpg.html]64957964-3FF6-4B67-B27E-7E04E6891D32_zps[/url]

I hope to start back on the engine n close the front off soon and the the the rear bits n hopefully to the paint shop after a nice warm bath n some rescribing.

Getting a bit long in the tooth ....hope to complete it soon

Happy modelling

Brian

Edited by Mr b