1/32 Birddog

Mr b

Brian and Derek,

Some notes and warnings...

Windows 12G (step 14), 3G (step 15), 4G (step 16) and 5G (step 18) are all bad fits.  I had to scrape and sand them down to size.

The brake lines (3F, 2F - step 6) attach to the fuselage in steps 16 & 18 at two small dimples slightly under the fuselage NOT into the holes on either side of the fuselage just aft of the gear legs.  Those holes are for wing struts 1D (step 24.)

Rudder control horn identified as 9D (step 19) is incorrect; it is actually 28F.  (Part 9D is part of the engine bearer in step 9.)

Elevator horn 26F in step 19 is misidentified.  It is actually 27F.  26F is a door handle.

Map pouches 2D mount to the starboard fuselage half 2A in step 15 and to the door 17C (incorrectly identified as 2C) in step 17.  While there is a mounting location for a third case on the port fuselage half 1A (opposite the one on 2A) there is no third case provided.

The engine defeated me so I buttoned the cowling up and will jury rig attachment points for the prop and exhausts.  I will give the engine another go on my second kit.

Biggest complaint so far is the lack of POSITIVE part locations/connections.  This is especially true of the engine and firewall/engine bearer assemblies.  Many locating holes (when present) are too small or too big for the attaching part's pin(s) (when present.)  Very frustrating (at least for this half-blind, gorilla-fisted, grumpy old man.)

Happy trails...

Edited by OldTroll

Guest Peterpools

Ron

Thanks for the heads up - it's a shame on such an anticipated kit, there are some many issues that need to be dealt with.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Looking real good and you have surely captured the feel of the Bird Dog.

Hopefully Ron's warning s will allow your build to avoid the pitfalls.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Wow thanks alot Ron

I am very sure it will be most helpful. I agree with Peter i did not anticpate such issues my self.... the last roden kit i built was the pc-6 it was ok only for the funny plastic... but this release looks problematic ....i too like Ron hope my ham fisted ways will work on this.

Anyways i have finished the cockpit. Next will be the seats. Instruments are the lovely Airscale ones. Brings the panel to life. Wires etc copper type n plastic rod

2D6730BE-AB9C-4880-B500-38B19DF4389A_zps

7E26D086-47C9-4591-B566-7FEAD105177C_zps

2378C824-9073-4236-9710-3E7B25C81904_zps

BA1DD325-72AB-44DD-AC98-CCA96ED1DA51_zps

Thanks guys and Ron.....thanks for the headsup. I hope i can get as far as you. The window problem scare me as i always have issue with tht area

Rgds

Looking great Brian!  Thanks for the updates, keep them coming.  Really nice job on the radio equipment and wiring.  Those Airscale Instruments do bring the IP to life don't they?! 

Thanks too for the notes Ron.

I'm about to start my own WIP in a few minutes although I don't have much to show yet.

-Derek

Thanks alot guys

next will tackle the seats and the cabin clear parts.....I think....................

Anthony - Cheers mate............each time I see your Skyhawk it reminds me how I should be building a NZ bird.......any ideas as to the high viz roundels and 3 tone camo for a skyhawk trainer in 1/32.....a mate gave me his to build for an upcoming local g/b

Best Regards and Happy Modelling.........all

Brian

Thanks alot guys much appericated

I got some work done and the cabin is more or less done

A6A3AADA-0EBA-475A-824A-11FABA85221B_zps

2205BBE5-0379-48E6-9D99-5B9ECAE4B54D_zps

The belts are done. Please note they are not based on the real thing. I have just put them in to make it look busy. The front belts can only be completed once the wing is in place.

Started testing the clear parts

C71691A6-A7BE-456F-90DD-AC18455BEFFA_zps

Looks ok....now will be the dreaded task to paint the frames yellow. I might just skip it not too sure.

Ok now i need advise guys please help me. A mate has agreed to help me draw the decals for this lovely scheme. There are two i have put here.

0849042F-BA62-418C-AE37-D9B41BE1615D_zps

This looks grey

AE2A97D0-8F3E-4FF2-8435-75D7D6182A25_zps

This looks blue. Any ideas of color matchs, i would not mind either or is it one in the same. Advise really appericated.

Thanks guys. If the pics are not suitable. I will take them down n hyper link them to the flicker site i got them from

Thanks again

Rgds

Mr b

Looking great Brian!  Glad to see the update.  I need to do one on my build today as well.  I'm not as far along as you, I seem to keep getting bogged down in the cockpit details :)  Plus I'm still waiting on my seat belts, which should be here this week sometime.  Your belts came out great btw!

How are the window fitting?  Too big as Ron pointed out?  I'm not looking forward to that... :(

As for that Thai AF O-1, I'll bet it is painted in standard USAF ADC Gray, same as USAF O-1s.  Must be the lighting or film processing in that second photo making it look too blue.

-Derek