1/32 Trumpeter F4F-3 Wildcat: 3/21/2017 Final Update

Joel_W

JA

Harvs pics look great and if you're willing to drive and buy breakfast, a trip to the museum sounds great‼

Bro

Bro,

How come I always have to buy breakfast, but yeah I'll buy but you drive, or visa vera. :punk: 

Joel

Taking a break from working on the fuselage. Ok to be truthful, I'm avoiding trying to re-scribe all the panel lines and rivets I sanded off for a while at least. So I decided to work on the wings.

Grumman's decided to use what I call a split landing flap, where only the lower half of the wing is actually used as a flap. while the upper half is still part of the wing.  Trumpeter with their movable surfaces has done the hard part in duplicating this feature in their wing sections.  Here's what the kit upper wing section looks like.

WM1hsw.jpg

At 1st glance it looks pretty nice, but a closer inspection shows several errors.

x87S4F.jpg

The ribs are too short in length as they stop where Trumpeter created a flat gluing surface. Rather the ribs should run to the trailing edge where there is a reinforcing strip that isn't on the kit wing either.

My 1st thought was to buy the Eduard PE flap set and use it. Besides the cost, I prefer to try and modify, detail, or correct kit parts when ever possible, so that's the route I decided to take.

U68btb.jpg

Using .010 x .040 Evergreen strips, I made the trailing edge.  Not having the correct size strips to cover those "open boxes" I cut the proper sizes from .020 sheet, then sanded them down some.

Next I had to decide if I wanted to remove the to small ribs or somehow use them. So I tried to cut a series of ribs. Some came out ok, some didn't as each rib is a little longer then the previous one. I then came up with the idea of using .011 x .033 Evergreen strips glued on top and butting up against the trailing edge lip. This also gave the illusion of the top plate on each rib that is missing.

the over all top wing viewed from the bottom  looking up, while not being totally accurate, now has a proper look to it.

QsfxVn.jpg

Next up is the actual flap itself.

Joel

After finishing the construction of the upper wing split flap area, I next turned my attention to the actual split flap itself. Like the top wing, Trumpeter molded the flap with a large trailing edge gluing surface, so that the flap ribs are way to short as they end right at that gluing surface. You'll also notice 5 rather large ejector pin depressions.

nYza7t.jpg

I filled each depression with Bondo Glazing and Spot putty. When dry, I sanded and then sealed them with CCA glue.

FNSLwD.jpg

Next up I cut and glued a trailing edge lip from Evergreen 1x4 strips, and the leading edge stringer from 1x3 strip.

cuW1Oi.jpg

Then using 1x3 strip I covered and lenghened the top of each rib, which as before also serves as the top stiffening plate that the kit ribs don't have, and then made the center stringer out of individual pieces of 1/3 strip.

pIVJMf.jpg

I dry fitted the flap to the wing to see how it actually looks.

NCc2LT.jpg

Then came priming time. I decided that that viewing area will be dark enough, so I went with MIG AMMO Gray Acrylic primer.  I was intending to paint the flap surfaces Green Zinc Chromate as seems to have been the standard practice at that time. As I looked through my resources, and photos I realized that I didn't have a single picture of the flap extended.  More Google searches, and a lot of guesses by modelers. Intereior green and GZC were the prevailing colors. I finally tracked down some more of Dana Bell's research, and once again there was a definative answer. Grumman had approval to use Grumman Gray as a primer and a color. They seemed to have followed their own painting procedures as with the Cowl and cowl flaps, and paint the inside surfaces of the Flaps Grumman Gray. But the aircraft produced by GM followed the standard Navy colors and painted them Yellow Zinc Chromate, not Green Zinc Chromate.

As I stated in my last post, Dana Bell's research showed that the closest color to Grumman Gray was FS36440, which is also the same shade of Gray as the Mig Ammo primer (as per my not so great eyes). So, that's the way I went.

O6SFFt.jpg

Once the primer has set up, I dry fitted the flap to the upper wing:

MNG10s.jpg

And finally a overall image of the back of the entire wing.

UNI2vs.jpg

Now on to the other wing.

Joel

That's some great work Joel. I always admire how you never cut corners, and always take time to get it right

Tony,

Thanks for your most kind words, but believe me, I do cut corners. At least I sure think so.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Terrific work on the flap assembly - excellent detail and glad you were able to pick up and carry the ball where Trumpeter left off.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

JA

Terrific work on the flap assembly - excellent detail and glad you were able to pick up and carry the ball where Trumpeter left off.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Bro,

Thanks for stopping by, and I'm glad you approve of the work. I'm still trying to figure out if the 1st two ribs are in fact square to the fuselage, while the rest are 90 degrees to the wing spar is correct or not.  Also there are two additional ribs on the flap that have no corresponding ribs on the wing surface. Sure would like to know if that's right or not.

If it was a Tamiya kit, I wouldn't even question it, but it's a early Trumpy kit, so who knows for sure.

Does this update qualify me for a free breakfast tomorrow? :mental:

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Guest Peterpools

JA

Of course not. You never refer to Grumman as The Iron Works Gang, and that they were. So you should be picking up the tab

Bro