1/32 Trumpeter F4F-3 Wildcat: 3/21/2017 Final Update

Joel_W

Guest Peterpools

Shaka

Just thought I would chime in. I have a shelf full of primers, tried them all and all work well but Ammo by MIG, it's in a class by itself.

I thin the MIG primer 50/50 with tamiya X-20A ( not sure why but it works perfectly), use any one of four different air brushes to apply the primer but always between 12-15 psi working pressure.

I'm normally in a rush and never wait more then an hour or so for the primer to dry and sometimes and little as 15 minutes. Like JA, I shoot Tamiya, Moel Air and AK right on top with no issues at all. When I started using MRP paints I switched primers and went with AK Primer and Micro Filler - worked well but wasn't crazy about the smell and clean up. I also bought a few bottles of MRP Fine Surface Primer but haven't used them at all. Instead, I went right back to my MIG primer and and no problems to report at all with MRP paint shot right on top. :fight:

Peter

Shaka

Just thought I would chime in. I have a shelf full of primers, tried them all and all work well but Ammo by MIG, it's in a class by itself.

I thin the MIG primer 50/50 with tamiya X-20A ( not sure why but it works perfectly), use any one of four different air brushes to apply the primer but always between 12-15 psi working pressure.

I'm normally in a rush and never wait more then an hour or so for the primer to dry and sometimes and little as 15 minutes. Like JA, I shoot Tamiya, Moel Air and AK right on top with no issues at all. When I started using MRP paints I switched primers and went with AK Primer and Micro Filler - worked well but wasn't crazy about the smell and clean up. I also bought a few bottles of MRP Fine Surface Primer but haven't used them at all. Instead, I went right back to my MIG primer and and no problems to report at all with MRP paint shot right on top. :fight:

Peter

Pete,

You have almost as many bottles of primer as I have of Tamiya paints. :hmmm: just stick with the Mig Ammo primer as it works with every brand of paint. I now use my Tamiya gray primer as a filler applied with a paint brush.

Joel

Looks great Joel - great work on the gear wells and the engine looks awesome in place.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Thanks so much for checking out my build. Glad that you like the work I've done to date.  I just had to see how the engine looked in place, and it does look rather good if I say so myself.

Joel

Joel, don't know if these will help but maybe.....Harv

Harv,

Thanks for the pictures. They'll be a big help. I added them to the few that I have already. Then the bells went off in my head. Pete keeps on telling  me that the Long Island Cradle of Aviation has a F4F-3 on display, so I'm charging up my Nikon's battery, and going to visit the museum.  There are several areas that I need a ton of detail pictures of, and hopefully I'll be able to get all the pictures of them I need.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

That is some seriously good work Joel. I'm loving it so far, and look forward to your next update.

Tony,

Thanks so much for stopping by and having a look at my progress to date. When old friends appreciate my efforts, it really means quite a lot to me.

Joel

Shaka Hi,

That's  a lot for the bottle of paint. I'm guessing that shipping is more then half the cost.  I prefer to thin it with Tamiya Yellow cap Lacquer thinner, but Pete still uses Tamiya X20-A. both work just fine.  One thing I'll guarantee you is that it will become your primer of choice after the 1st time you use it.

Joel

Great work going on here, I have two of Trumpeters Wildcats in the stash and this thread will be very useful when I finally get around to building them.

Cheers

Dennis 

Dennis,

Thanks so much for stopping by. It's much appreciated.  I don't really know how much of what I've done is worth using as a reference, but just the mention of it is sure humbling .

Joel

Dennis,

Thanks so much for stopping by. It's much appreciated.  I don't really know how much of what I've done is worth using as a reference, but just the mention of it is sure humbling .

Joel

Hi Joel, you have to be kidding buddy. This thread should be pinned as the absolute "How To" reference for anyone that wants to built F4F-3 Wildcat.

Hi Joel, you have to be kidding buddy. This thread should be pinned as the absolute "How To" reference for anyone that wants to built F4F-3 Wildcat.

Gerhard,

Thank you so much for those more then kind words. I sure hope that my F4F-3 build can live up to them.

Joel