Pre painted PE belts - I hate thee so....

ZachP319

Ok title says it all.

Why did we want these prices of garbage?

With older bare metal PE I would anneal the brass in a candle flame or box lighter to make it more malleable. And usually they worked great and looked good.

I can't anneal this pre painted/printed crap.....and when I go to install the parts they are too stiff and springy to stay easily and tend pop from where they are glued. I don't think they look all that lifelike in the end either.....

Is there a better way to work with these? I hate them and will opt for molded resin belts any time over this crap.

I had to rant when I discovered a lap belt from my albatross diii had disappeared for no reason....

Zach

There has been a band of us crying out for several years for somebody to produce modern seat webbing akin to the oldie propellery era HGW stuff - fabric straps and etch buckles - in generic sets for Aces II, MB 3/4, MB 5/7 bang seats.

There must be a sound reason why this hasn't yet been done but I'm stuffed if I can figure out what.

Tony

Try the newish Eduard Steel seatbelts.  The paint does not flake off and they shape and position easily without the need to anneal them.

OK, they dont look as good as the fabric ones but at least they dont drive you up the wall trying to thread them!!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=7997&product_type_id=&code=&scale_id=953&keyword_search=Steel+seat&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

A sensible answer from Barry - thanks.

I might give the new Eduard steel F-4 ones a go this year if there are some positive reviews - five Martin Baker 7s to dress this Summer.

I remember Model Technologies and Verlinden making just the etched buckles, which could be woven with coloured strips of art paper or thin ribbon. Is there anything like that still out there?

Tony

Radu's belts have separate buckles as well as pre-cut belts so in that respect are similar to the Model Technologies and Verlinden approach. They also have useful instructions, which not all Verlinden products had.

In 1/32 and larger, I find that the 3D look is really hard to obtain by other means, although the Fine Molds injection-moulded belts look pretty good as long as the type you want is available.