Tamiya Spitfire XVI- TD248

BloorwestSiR

Hi Carl;

Well, to keep you going, here's the first of a few photos of TD248 that I took around 1993/94 at Earls Colne..

This one was taken of 248 departing for an early evening sortie on a lovely July summer's evening...what a time to fly a spit!

scan0004_zpsl47y9qo5.jpg

This was 248 on the ramp outside her hangar at Earls Colne. She wasn't hangared on the airfield, but on a farm just off the NW peri track of the former 323rd Bomb Group airfield..

scan0003_zps9gpnmyml.jpg

248 just before engine start on the ramp of the old Bulldog Aviation hangar at Earls Colne. The guy standing on the wing is Phil Parish, chief engineer.

scan0002_zpsgtlwib8c.jpg

And finally for the moment, your's truly on the right posing with my favourite Spitfire with my good friend "Surefire" Sherwood on the left..

scan0001_zpsavbyfe8t.jpg

I'll post more up as I find em!

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

Thanks guys! 248 was certainly a sleek and beautiful looking aircraft. I find it a bit of a shame that that she now carries a bog standard camouflage scheme. 

Steve. 

sharing yyour youthful days and photos...How lovely.

thank you. 

...And how I wish I could get those youthful days back sometimes...but then again I think that I prefer my gained wisdom over the youth I once had  :)

Happy to share. I will try to find more photos.

Best regards;
Steve

Thanks! I appreciate that. I think I was just lucky catching that shot just right as I'm no David Bailey!

A couple of points about that photo. Eddie was just about to swing her to port to taxi up to the airfield for take off. As can be seen, the grass strip from the hangar up to the airfield was on a slight incline. As I mentioned to Carl already, TD248 tended to have a problem with her port oleo, so she often sat with a slight wing down tilt (until we got our backs under the wing to hoist her up again!) That's the reason that she looks fairly straight in the photo even though the ground rises upwards.

Bit of useless TD248 trivia there!  :)

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

Thanks Steve for all that info. It truly is awesome getting that set of knowledge and information from someone who was there and was involved.

I got distracted a bit at the bench by a pancake so I haven't got much new finished on any of the Spitfires but hope to be moving forward again on them shortly.

Carl

So I did a bit more painting of the interior green on the cockpit bits.

IMG_20170117_230558.jpg

I then got myself into a bit of a pickle.i couldn't figure out which parts belonged to which build, especially after my cat decided to mix them up. I finally got them sorted and this time I separated them into their own tubs.

I also received two sets of Mastercasters three spoke wheels from Hannants.

IMG_20170121_114815.jpg

I then started painting the IP(s).

IMG_20170122_165249.jpg

I used semigloss black and then detail painted the dial surrounds.

IMG_20170122_191219.jpg

I then installed the dial faces onto all of them.

IMG_20170122_195847.jpg

Hopefully this week I'll get more done, but it is Robbie Burns Day on Wednesday and then Chinese New Year Saturday so we shall see.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Awesome progress and after I struggled with various copper colors for my Mossie's Merlins, yours look spot on. I'm guessing the metallic brown is the Tamiya call out color.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Carl

Awesome progress and after I struggled with various copper colors for my Mossie's Merlins, yours look spot on. I'm guessing the metallic brown is the Tamiya call out color.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Tamiya actually call for interior green but I've always liked them in the copper color. I've seen a few pictures of them that way so that's what I used.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR