X-22 with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner...

Shaka HI

I already use Tamiya X20A Acrylic thinner and am happy, what advantages will laquer thinner give? I can guess faster dry time, better levelling?

Don

Faster drying time, better levelling, better atomisation, smoother, glossier finish. Seems to dry harder as well. Much better performance than with X-20A in my opinion. Disclaimer: I use Mr. Color Thinner, rather than Tamiya's lacquer thinner, but they're essentially the same stuff.

Kev

Ya! What Kev, said. But I've used the Lacquer Thinner only with their Clear. And I must say -- Wow!

I'll continue to use their X-20A (with drops of flowaid) for their regular paints, but I'm looking for a Future replacement and thought I give their clear/lacquer thinner a try after getting some a couple of days ago and I like the results!

The Clear w/ Lacquer Thinner --  I read from Chuck Sawyer's FSM article (on his P-38).

this used to be my go-to clear gloss solution but it totally failed on me in the last week with my current build. Went through the airbrush just fine, typical ratio similar to what is above, dried rough and granular almost - was gut wrenching as last time I used this it went on like a dream. Tried spraying a mist of thinner over to smooth and it made no difference, nor additional coats. Ended up polishing out ok for the most part though.

No idea what the issue was. It is super dry here (and cold though I heat my workroom prior to airbrushing) so maybe that was a factor. My airbrush was super clean as well so not thinking a contaminate or anything. Such a head scratcher....

Clear gloss remains something I cannot find a fool proof solution for (acknowledging I am the fool :) )

Edited by petrov27

I'm actually having the opposite issue with it at the moment. Due to the high humidity in my locale lately, the X-22 gloss coat remained soft for days, and still feels a little vulnerable, even now. I'm not sure any form of acrylic paint would have performed any better or differently under the circumstances, though.

Kev

I've used X-22/X-20A for years with great results, though on my latest build i'm trying Tamiya TS-13 Clear spray bomb. I figure the color bombs work so well the gloss must be good to. Well, it doesn't dry as glossy as X-22 but dried much faster, I think decals might silver on it. I'll stick to the X-22 but might try the laquer based thinner.

Don

Actually, Chuck originally got the idea from me!

Kev

Well, I stand corrected!

It dried hard and fast -- quite happy with it. It's very dry here at the moment, which is NOT the norm. I just want a clear solution that will lay smooth and don't care if it takes a while to dry. I just don't want to experience any cracks in the final coats if I can help it.

Have to ask, will any laquer thinner work?

Don

Maybe, but I would stick to either the Gunze (Mr. Color Thinner, or Mr. Color Levelling Thinner) or Tamiya products. My results using generic lacquer thinner vary wildly with different kinds of paints. I think it will thin and spray OK, but I doubt it would give you results that are as good. No harm in trying, though, but it wouldn't be my recommendation.

Kev

I could not get the Tamiya's clear with the X-20A to spray smooth (with/without Flowaid). My experience is that it would "pool" and look splotchy which is why I stuck with Future. This is the same results I would have with Artist type clears (Winsor Newton)...Wonder if they become sprayable with lacquer thinner (I got so many of them!)?

I'll continue to experiment with this...

Well, i tried the X-22 with Mr. Color thinner on a wing bottom of my build, i think with a little more playing with pressures and mixes it would be everything you guys said. Big problem are the fumes, no way can i use this where i paint!! I do like the smell of lacquer thinners and paint, but after painting a small area the fumes are a killer, I'll stick to X-22A.

Don

Have to open a window and go upstairs, they're that bad.