LSP_Typhoonattack

Hasegawa N1K2 George

Some George goodies arrived today, so as soon as practicable, I can begin spritzing some paint on this baby.

Spritzing is good !  :clap2:  We like spritzing !  :) :popcorn:

Roll protection device now all painted up to (hopefully) look like plywood. Close scrutiny of many of the George photos I've gathered, seem to indicate this was usually left unpainted. I still need to paint the aluminum cap, which I will do once this is thoroughly dry. The grainyness will go away to a large extent, once clear coated (I hope).

yAhZrJ.jpg

Checking over some last minute items that need doing before paint, I noticed that the scoop in front of the windscreen, is just a solid chunk of plastic. Since clear plastic is usually pretty hard and brittle, I just chopped it off and made another from the nearest size Plastruct channel I had.

nQliVZ.jpg

And with channel added. Still more refining to do, but it'll be much nicer than what was provided.

OZHMbA.jpg

Some George goodies arrived today, so as soon as practicable, I can begin spritzing some paint on this baby.

i8D0nO.jpg

I really should pay more attention; I just discovered that the Montex set contains a complete inside and outside canopy mask set, making the Eduard set just a bit redundant. :blush:

Have you decided on what kind of paint you will use for the exterior? I ask because Junpei Temma recently finished a 48th scale P-40B on Hyperscale and he uses Mr Color almost exclusively. I think it would be a good brand to use in order to get that smooth semi glossy finish late war IJN fighters seemed to have.

Just a thought...

-d-

Have you decided on what kind of paint you will use for the exterior? I ask because Junpei Temma recently finished a 48th scale P-40B on Hyperscale and he uses Mr Color almost exclusively. I think it would be a good brand to use in order to get that smooth semi glossy finish late war IJN fighters seemed to have.

Just a thought...

-d-

I'll more that likely be using Tamiya XF-11, with some white, black, yellow and blue mixed in to vary it up a bit. I'll probably also go for a more or less dead flat finish, as that's really what I prefer.

Posted (edited)

Kevin,

I've actually been working the same kit and scheme as you but as I'm pretty much an "OOB, get it together" guy I already finished. I was doing it for the PTO campaign at armorama.com, so a dead line also forced the issue. But haven't posted any pics since then as there was a reaction when I applied a matte coat to finalize it, and so I will have to strip it and repaint. Forgot I used a different coat on the Tony I did earlier, and it apparently did not hold as high a regard for my base paint as the other coat did. The green went a little wrinkly in spots, and the metallic areas look like something corrosive splashed on actual aluminum; it's kind of a neat effect but it's obviously a damaged paint job when you look close. I guess that beats your square ejector pin holes, eh?

Anyhow, since I was using the kit decals -- which will die with the paint -- this gives me a chance to try a different scheme so we don't get a clone air force all up in here. Too many schemes to choose to have us both do the same one.

Oh, and in reference to the masks: I forgot I had a set of the cockpit masks and did it all by hand. But I'm still loving this kit, and will probably get another at some point.

Edited by CATCplSlade

That's a real shame, CAT. And yes, the kit is awfully darned good. Thinking about it, it's rather odd, that despite owning several Tamiya aircraft models, I've never actually built one,... ever, but this Hasegawa kit just drops together.