Hasegawa N1K2 George

LSP_K2

One area that still needs some serious work, is the tail section to fuselage joint. While my visual examination (before primer) indicated this area was OK, it obviously isn't, and highlighting this fact, is one of the great things about primers. I also apparently neglected to scribe a few lines, but I'll make short work out of those.

dvLX3G.jpg

The tail joint was a hard one for me; yours is less noticeable than mine. That is the biggest flaw in this kit for me, but not a deal breaker.

I seem to always have issues with tails that are separate. I glommed on two coats of Tamiya white last night, so I'll be sanding that out later today. It also looks as if there's perhaps a sink mark immediately ahead of the joint, so I'll have to check that out too. I also noticed that I must have wobbled the camera the moment the shutter was released, as it appears there are two of each panel line, when there's of course only one of each. 

Kinda like dropping a piece of buttered toast; of course it COULD land bread side down, but you know it won't, and will invariably land butter side down every time.

At least it was the door side, and that'll be a lot easier to deal with than if it'd been the gear side, so I'm not complaining too much.

OK, time for the great reveal (not really so great, but I thought I'd throw that out there anyway). I've used two different things here to try and get the general chipping look down; Elmer's rubber cement and hot candle wax, and both seem to have been quite effective in creating the larger areas that I want to do. (The candle wax cools so fast, that it doesn't have a chance to affect the paints beneath, which is what I'd hoped for). The smaller scratches and scrapes, will be done with Prismacolor pencils, as usual. I'm actually pretty satisfied with these results, and will now proceed to the air-frame itself.

a9g7RJ.jpg

aE32Mc.jpg

Rather ironically, the hot wax seems to have worked way better than the rubber cement, which is the opposite of what I'd expected. Also, while trying to dislodge the rubber cement, I discovered (quite by accident) that gentle scraping of the X-Act blade, is great for generating minor scratches and scrapes.

71cfqI.jpg

Last, but not least, some very gentle scrubbing/polishing with quadruple ought steel wool, also neatly removed green from raised surfaces, revealing the clear coat protected Alclad beneath. Using these methods with my Prismacolor cool grey (30%) pencil, should prove more than ample to weather up my George. I'm a happy pup.

wgSU5O.jpg