My first WnW build.......Hansa Brandenburg W.29......FINISHED

monthebiff

Wow, that does look terrif! 

Small tip on the wood-graining (please disregard if you have already heard about this)..............

I have found that if you go to Hobby Lobby or other like arts and crafts store, you can pic up some "Japan Drier".  It comes in a smallish few oz bottle, and it specifically designed to speed up the drying time of oils.

I initally started experimenting as they recommended, by thinning the oil with normal oil color thinner, then adding a few drops of the Japan Drier. I found that as I was really not using a whole lot of oil paint at any one time (normally doing things like this/wood-graining and such) that I found you can pretty much just dab out some oil paint, and mix in enough JD to thin it to your liking and then use it in the normal fashion. 

I found it takes the drying time of oils from days/weeks to hours/days depending on the amount and thickness.  W/the JD, Ive see some small oil areas become dry in just a few hours, VS potentially days and days without it.

HTH,

Carry on, and looking forward to more progress!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Wow, that does look terrif! 

Small tip on the wood-graining (please disregard if you have already heard about this)..............

I have found that if you go to Hobby Lobby or other like arts and crafts store, you can pic up some "Japan Drier".  It comes in a smallish few oz bottle, and it specifically designed to speed up the drying time of oils.

I initally started experimenting as they recommended, by thinning the oil with normal oil color thinner, then adding a few drops of the Japan Drier. I found that as I was really not using a whole lot of oil paint at any one time (normally doing things like this/wood-graining and such) that I found you can pretty much just dab out some oil paint, and mix in enough JD to thin it to your liking and then use it in the normal fashion. 

I found it takes the drying time of oils from days/weeks to hours/days depending on the amount and thickness.  W/the JD, Ive see some small oil areas become dry in just a few hours, VS potentially days and days without it.

HTH,

Carry on, and looking forward to more progress!

Brian, 

Thank you for your comments and tips and no I have never heard of this product but sounds very interesting and well worth trying on my next WnW build as I have the wood graining on this one done now. So far a very enjoyable project.

Regards. Andy

Andy hi!

Fantastic work so far. Happy new year and welcome to the 'darkside' hihihi im just starting my 4th wnw kit and ever since i built the albatros I've been instantly hooked.

Just a quick note regarding what Brian said. I completely agree with him. I thin the oils for the wood grain with another product though but no thinners as the product thins them and the oils dry in a couple of hours. I use Uschi's Blitz Dry and I can't recommend it enough. It's maybe more expensive I don't really know but i can recommend it as I've been using it for a while now. Looking forward to more progress and im glad to hear you're enjoying the w29!

Karim

Edited by karimb

Andy hi!

Fantastic work so far. Happy new year and welcome to the 'darkside' hihihi im just starting my 4th wnw kit and ever since i built the albatros I've been instantly hooked.

Just a quick note regarding what Brian said. I completely agree with him. I thin the oils for the wood grain with another product though but no thinners as the product thins them and the oils dry in a couple of hours. I use Uschi's Blitz Dry and I can't recommend it enough. It's maybe more expensive I don't really know but i can recommend it as I've been using it for a while now. Looking forward to more progress and im glad to hear you're enjoying the w29!

Karim

Happy new year to you Karim and thanks for looking in, your WnW builds you have posted are stunning particularly "Pipe smoking moon".

Thank you for the tip on drying agents as this is something I am looking in to, Loving the Wingnut Wings stuff and pleased I went to the "Darkside"........with my plan being a late AEG later in the year (already in the stash) as I'm a sucker for big twin engined builds.

Regards. Andy

Been playing around with oils to try and get some sort of leather look for the pilots "armchair"......sorry seat and somehow got to this along with some washes for the seat pad and a coat of Tamiya clear orange.

20170108_155002_zpsvalohopk.jpg

Then added the main and auxiliary fuel tanks to the forward bulkhead followed by the pilots seat in readiness for seat belts

20170108_160406_zpsgkd0elbt.jpg

20170108_160341_zpsusopengh.jpg

Also finished off the spare magazine rack. 

20170108_160548_zpsb7kszbww.jpg

And finaly today added the clear observation panel into the rear fuselage floor...

20170108_160753_zpshgdvttoa.jpg

Not sure what to do with the level of sheen/ gloss on the interior, I'm thinking a very light coat of flat to tone it all down but a little guidance/ critique from any WnW experten would be very helpful at this point.

As always, thank you for looking in.

Regards. Andy

Bulkhead/ pilots seat fitted to the cockpit floor along with the very nice lap belts added from the HGW set, maybe I got these a little short but reasonably happy with the way the cockpit is coming together now. Wingnut wings also supply a very nice sturdy metal brace fr the wings which need fitting very early in the cockpit construction.

20170110_210822_zpssotiu4jq.jpg

Also a few other bits and pieces finished today

20170110_194236_zpsq0kmeccb.jpg

20170110_194445_zps1w08ru5a.jpg

20170108_162144_zpswo3uk0bs.jpg

Love this kit, everything fits perfectly and decals etc being Cartograf work perfectly, never done so much hand painting on a kit for ages though......and I'm rubbish at it so good practice!!

Thanks for checking by.

Regards. Andy

Great progress Andy interior looks superb!

Woodwork is very convincing.

While not even remotely being an expert, what i do is usually either flat coat or satin the woodwork flooring. The logic behind it is the high foot traffic etc. the impact of external elements also plays a role depending on how "open" the cockpit is.

Just my two cents buddy!

Looking forward to more

Great progress Andy interior looks superb!

Woodwork is very convincing.

While not even remotely being an expert, what i do is usually either flat coat or satin the woodwork flooring. The logic behind it is the high foot traffic etc. the impact of external elements also plays a role depending on how "open" the cockpit is.

Just my two cents buddy!

Looking forward to more

Karim, Thank you for your comments, was thinking of dusting over a light coat of flat once I have the cockpit completely assembled to tone things down a little.

Regards. Andy

Managed to get the cockpit assembled this evening and reasonably happy with how this has gone, one thing I have noticed is people are not exaggerating when the say WnW tolerances are tight as any paint on mating joints does need to be removed to get a proper fit of parts.

20170112_192313-1_zpscgd3h0ew.jpg

20170112_192324-1_zpsyzrf7r99.jpg

20170112_192334-1_zpsshdo9vnp.jpg

A little weathering is required here and there as well as control cables, followed by I think, a light dusting of flat to tone things down a bit. 

Regards. Andy

• 1 month later...

Well, it seems like an age but finally an update after our house move, feels really good to be back modelling if not a little strange in new surroundings. I've managed to complete the cockpit this week adding control cables which is my first go with EZ line and micro brass tube

20170218_155943-1_zpsywh6kxxx.jpg

20170218_155953-1_zpsnsfosvfe.jpg

Fit in to the fuselage halves was fantastic, however, care needs taking on the lower sections to avoid larege steps and lote of filling down the line. 

20170218_165314-1_zpseudje1xq.jpg

20170218_165321-1_zpsddovpk4n.jpg

As ever, thank you for checking by and your comments and criticism are always very welcome.

Regards. Andy