Best oldie but goodie in 1/32...thoughts?

Nanook

• 4 weeks later...

Revell P-40E. Sure it had accuracy issues and gimmicks, but Revell's rendering of "lap joints" was impressive back then.

While Hasagawa's P-40 knocked it out of the "1/32 ring" it would have been nice if they went the same route for panel lines.

I can't recall, was this the only kit that featured the "lap joint" approach to panel lines?

Revell F4F holds up pretty well with the Trumpeteer F4F.

TKB

Guest The Southern Bandit

Some good mentions here and Revell's name sure creeps up a lot in this thread, the Raiden I built as a kid, it was ahead of it time back then for sure, recently finished a Hasegawa Raiden and part of the reason I did that one is because of the fun I remembered from building the Revell kit in my teens.

Has anyone mentioned the Revell 1/32 Hunter kit yet? Its an oldie but goodie kit too IMHO and wow does it fit together well for its age, dirt cheap as well, every 1/32 modeller should buy one.

I was thinking of this very topic yesterday, while building Tamiya's venerable 1/48 Rufe from 1973.

Yes, it's 1/48 scale and not 1/32, but for $13 shipped to my door, it's a great little kit!  

Fit is excellent; molding is still good but clean up is required here and there...choice of open or closed canopy parts...some recessed panel lines, some raised.  Lovely full color, glossy, little poster featuring side profile shots of 2 Rufes, one gray, one green...

Decals are glossy and a bit thick but seem OK...

A no frills little kit that will go together much better than some of Eduard's offerings, for example, from just the last few years...and this Tamiya kit was made 44 years ago!  

I was even amazed to see 2 figures...one standing, one seated...

I had to spend a good half hour refining detail on the seated pilot (he's going in the cockpit!) and remove all seam lines...but overall the figure seemed quite good.  Sometimes figures especially from older kits are like demented blobs of out of proportion plastic..

The figures in the Rufe kit are quite good all things being considered.

If you are into IJN subject matter and don't mind 1/48 scale, have some fun with this cracker of an oldie but goodie some time! 

It's been nothing but fun, perhaps b/c my expectations have been ZERO from the beginning.

Pun intended!

I'd never built a 1/32 plane until returning to the hobby last year. My first LSP was a Hasegawa bubble top P-47, so I was immediately spoiled for the old kits. Anyway, I recently bought this thing (cheaply) on EBay just for the decals to use on a Tamiya F4U...

IMG_0462.jpgscreengrab

...and decided to throw it together as a paint mule for the "real thing" build.

It's horrible.

The raised panel lines and rivets were no surprise, of course. I knew the cockpit would suck and the wheel wells wouldn't bear looking at, but the engine cylinders don't even match when glued together, so each cylinder has a protruding rim on one side when viewed from head-on.

The fuse has the expected Grand Canyon down the middle when glued, but it's the wing construction that turns this bad dream of a kit into a nightmare. It's engineered for the wings to have operating wing fold, a bad idea even on a modern kit which in this case produces a carnival of poor fit and flimsy construction.

Nostalgia is fun, so I get it that people have fond memories of days gone by, but if this were the state of modern plastic modeling, I'd have quit one build after I came back. I'm going to finish gluing this PoS together and subject it to endless brutalities of paint experimentation before it joins its fellow mules in the stable. Ugh.

Like I said: I'm now spoiled by modern kits. I go back a long way, all the way back to Aurora's "Famous Fighters" kits.

IMG_0463.jpghow to take a screen shot

Been there; done that. I don't miss it.

Edited by AdamR

Guest Clunkmeister

Saying "Jap Zero" today will get you dirty looks or worse.. LOL.

I have some seriously fond memories on building the Revell 1/32 stuff in the early 70s. I seem to recall someone made a fighter model wher you could retract and extend the landing gear by turning the prop. I have bad memories on that one.

I attempted building the Revell F4F with retractable gear when I was about 9. The only glue we had was Testors red tube, and the only paint we had were Testors small glass jars, and only in primary gloss colors. Needless to say, the results were "interesting", to say the least.

In my child's brain there was no understanding one term 'sparingly', so glue was gobbled on straight out of the tube.

The resulting fingerprints were always epic.

Using that technique on the F4F landing gear mechanism resulted in rubber gear legs that splayed out like, well, rubber. :rofl:

Someday I'd like to have another go at these kits. I have new versions of them around here somewhere.

Nitto 1:32 Willow. Don't know why. I built a couple in decades past but I think this kit needs a resurgence. Just kindly saying.

Troy

They're still around. Doyusha does 'em now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nitto-Kagaku-Japanese-Navy-Type-93-Advanced-Trainer-1-32-scale-Model-Kit/322401325675?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4649&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Dd53a9265a76b4aa6b475f307569330fc%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D37%26sd%3D302205060315

When I was 15 I saw this in a shop ...

Revell1967.jpg

...I was mesmerized :blink:  That's all it took.

For me it was the Revell Supermarine Spitfire Mk I.  I was 10 when it came out, and just saw the "Battle of Britain" at the movies (25 cents admission at Itazuke AFB in Japan).  I bought each 1/32nd scale kit as they came out, and I remember the long wait wondering what was coming out next.  Of course, the Hasegawa Spitfire knocked my socks off.  So it has been 1/32nd scale for me for about 48 years now.

• 8 months later...