1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

Minor update for today, after removing the front windscreen, to do the HUD modification, it was apparent that it wasn't going to fit like it did before removing it. When they installed it originally at the factory they really had to spread it apart to glue it and when I cut it loose it sprang back. I did not want to take a chance with super glue for fear of crazing the glass plus there was too much pressure required to get it to go back to it's original spot. I didn't think the glue would hold over time. I opted to use some small brass rod again, knowing this would hold up over time. I marked the glass and sill and drilled small holes in each. I cut 2 small pieces of rod (4mm in length) and super glued them into the sill (the red arrows showing their location). Now when I stretch the glass I get a much more secure mounting point. My question is will regular "clear parts cement" be enough to hold it in place or try something stronger and if so what ?? Suggestions welcomed, thanks.

Steve

IMG_3998_zps08d809db.jpg

Greetings everyone, small update for today. I got the panel lines filled in and sanded around the exhaust area, finished up the "panel fastener" details on the starboard backside of the jet. Glued and sanded the starboard side

wing leading edge and added the missing "panel fastener" detail to the wing and around the wingtip slime lights. Glued, filled and, sanded the wing glove areas but still have to add some details to that area yet.

There is an area on the front fuselage, which is recessed, where the refueling door should be. I decided to put one there to smooth out the space. I used .010" sheet plastic to fabricate one.

IMG_4002_zpsaa8ef56a.jpg

IMG_4001_zpsc1b32547.jpg

Fabricated refueling door in place and awaiting some glue. Now this area is the same height and blends in nicely.

IMG_4000_zps84183d2b.jpg

Also received my new "fully opened" GE F110 nozzles, thanks Nathan. I'll get these primed and ready for some paint. I decided to go a different route with the final display and this will become apparent later on.

IMG_4022_zps70c066b7.jpg

Thanks for your continued interest and for following along, til next time.

Steve

Greetings everyone, very small update for today. I decided that since this is MY PROJECT, I would add the knee boards after all. I think it adds another detail of interest when viewing the cockpit. I used 0.20" sheet plastic for

the knee boards which measure 7mm wide X 10mm high. I rounded the 4 corners slightly and painted them flat black, I left a bare spot in the middle for gluing purposes. For the maps / charts I used 0.05" sheet plastic which

measure 5mm wide X 8mm high. I painted the front flat white because the black from the knee boards was visible. After the paint was dry I glued the charts to the boards with a dab of glue and used some gel superglue to attach

them to the aircrew. I was gonna add some decals to the charts / maps but, didn't have anything that size in my stash. I think they look the part and they are just another small detail that will add more interest to the eye.

Since I was at it, I made a set for my VF-154 crew as well. Thanks for your continued interest in this very long project, now to work on that airbrush and compressor. Til the next update ....

Steve

IMG_4124_zps25cad322.jpg

IMG_4127_zpsab85cf15.jpg

IMG_4126_zpsf6bc8972.jpg

Today's update,

With the canopy all polished up I went ahead and got it masked up using "Parafilm M". I need to spray it black first before priming so the black shows thru on the inside. I also need to remove the compound residue from the "panel fastener" detail before priming.

IMG_4129_zps167d58f1.jpg

IMG_4136_zpsd5cda2f6.jpg

Thanks for checking in.

Steve

Greetings everyone, I haven't had much time to work on the Cat lately but, I did manage to get another small item accomplished. I added the cooling vents to the RIO's Detail Data Display using very fine mesh screen from the stash box. I made a small recess with a 5/32" drill bit so the vent would sit flush and secured them in place with super glue. Thanks for staying tuned, til next time.

Steve

IMG_4140_zpscfecabbb.jpg

Small update for tonight, I took Chuck's advice and added more stripping to the ejection hoops. Thanks Chuck, they look alot better. I used some flat black and a 000 brush, the same one I use for all my cockpit work. Once the

paint dries really good I'll dirty up the handles because they are way too clean. Nothing earth shattering but, progress none the less. Thanks so much for staying interested in this lengthly re-build, til the next update.

Steve

IMG_4144_zps0a65ad8f.jpg

Greetings everyone,

I wanted to wait until these were completely finished but, at this rate who knows when that will be. I managed to get the base color on the nozzles, a mix of Alclad Pale Burnt Metal and Duraluminum. First time working with Alclad, very nice stuff.

IMG_4208_zpse852fc40.jpg

After quite a while of masking I've got them ready for the darker color.

IMG_4224_zps96bf88dc.jpg

And while I was at it I decided to mask off the other set of nozzles. I'll hold on to them just in case there is another JSI Tomcat release or try to sell them on Ebay.

IMG_4241_zps419648e2.jpg

Anyhow, a little update for those of you who are still interested in this project. Thanks for checking in and for your continued interest, til the next update.

Steve

Well, good afternoon all. I FINALLY got in some time on the Big Cat yesterday and now have something worth an update. Finished masking off the "closed nozzels" and got both sets painted. I am going to wait on weathering the insides of the "open nozzels" because of my change in plans on how I am going to display her. Originally I was going to pose her, and my VF-154 jet, in level flight but, I've decided to put clear acrylic rods into the exhausts and display her going vertical. I will paint the acrylic rods to represent the afterburner plume. The 154 jet will be displayed in level flight.

The "closed nozzles" I will hang on to for now. If there ever is another JSI Tomcat released, maybe they will get used for that jet. Otherwise I'll put them on Ebay and see how they sell.

I want to thank everyone who is still checking in on this project. Time to work on her gets harder and harder to find but I assure you that I WILL FINISH HER !! Hopefully sooner than later, until next time.

Steve

IMG_4242_zps84125035.jpg

IMG_4243_zps13084135.jpg

Time for a little update. I've been looking at the RIO's glare shield and wasn't happy leaving both sides tan, I wanted to make the one side that worn purplish color. I decided to try some craft paint from the local craft store ( A.C. Moore ). I figured at $0.59 cents a bottle, 1 bottle of Plum and 1 bottle of white, I couldn't go wrong. I added some Poly-scale grimy black to the mix and this is what I came up with. I plan to do some dry brushing and maybe even a Flory white wash to knock down the color even more.

IMG_4244_zps60b96442.jpg

IMG_4245_zps3516a685.jpg

I also tried my hand at doing some weathering on the tails, with my airbrush. This is a first for me, I usually do my weathering with washes and pastels. I've always been jealous of guys who can do this sort of thing with the airbrush so, I figured what the heck, NO GUTS, NO GLORY right ? IMO I think it came out well, I'm very happy with the results. The darker areas are where the squadron painted out their " MUTHA " and their " SAFTEY S " awards. The marks on the insides of the tails are corrision control spots. Still trying to decide if I want to do more with another lighter color or leave well enough alone. I want to do a wash but black and dirt won't show up that well and I think white would be too drastic. We'll see.

Thanks for your continued support and for keeping interest in this project, til next time.

Steve

IMG_4247_zps53cedc59.jpg

IMG_4246_zps36858bd2.jpg

IMG_4248_zps067a0e3a.jpg

Time to update this thread, I picked up my 2" acrylic rods after work on Friday and they came out perfect. I have an extra one so I can test out my painting technique. Hopefully things will go as planned and I'll get the desired effect I'm looking for.

IMG_4257_zpsb228937a.jpg

The clear rods are 20" long with a 2 1/4" piece of 1 5/8" rod glued on top. They fit into the Tomcats exhaust perfectly and are more than adequate to support this beast.

IMG_4261_zpsf4f37f68.jpg

I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow to work on the Big Cat, hopefully I'll get the rods painted and I'm working on an idea to attach the forward fuselage to the main body. This seam needs to be strong and has to dissappear when finished because there is no panel line here on the real aircraft. Thanks for your continued support and interest in this project and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Steve

Small update on this Monday afternoon. I worked on the main body getting it ready for the forward nose section. I decided to use 3/16" brass rod figuring this would be nice and strong. I cut 3 pieces of the rod to 1 1/2" long.

IMG_4258_zps3f69ff3e.jpg

I then drilled 3 holes into the main body to accept the rods. I sanded down the rods slightly with some 120 grit sandpaper. This allowed the rods to slide into the holes perfectly and will give the 2 part epoxy something to bite onto.

IMG_4259_zps87bb55fc.jpg

IMG_4264_zpsacfa76e4.jpg

IMG_4262_zps81e0b813.jpg

I'll let these dry overnight and drill the hloes for the rods in the nose section tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

Steve

chuck540z3
  • If it isn't modified, it isn't any fun.
  • bullet_black08.png.ead549090c36366eb388a
  • photo-thumb-11168.jpg
  • Members
  •  
  • 3,987 posts

Still trying different ideas / colors for the "afterburner" effect on these rods. They were not cheap so I want to make sure I get it right before applying the colors to them. Hopefully I'll have something worth posting, picture wise, by the end of the weekend. I haven't had much free time at all this week. Thanks for staying interested in this project.

Steve

Hey Steve. Have you thought of using a strong orange light at the end of them as a sort of fiber optic setup rather than paint them? Since you'll need a base for the rods anyway, a light could be hidden within it.

Yes sir Chuck I did think of that. In fact, I thought about how I could run fiber optic for all the exterior lights and cockpit. If this Big Cat had been in "kit form" I most definitely would have gone that route.

I did take a small flashlight and hold it on the end of the rod ( the end that goes into the exhaust ) and it looked pretty good but, the light would need to be inside the jet. It didn't look right lit from the other end.

Small update for tonight, I played around with the colors for the rods today. The blue came out alright, I think anyway but, I had some trouble getting the flat white to spray without splattering. I played with the mixture, I played with the air pressure, I did everything I could think of and this is how it turned out. I wish I could get the white rings a little more defined without so much splatter. I'll keep working on it until I get it where I'm happy with it BEFORE I paint the 2 good ones. Any how here's some pictures of the test rod. Good thing it's just the test piece.

Steve

IMG_4266_zpsccf79edb.jpg

IMG_4268_zps2a2d3d9a.jpg

IMG_4269_zps924b62e4.jpg