1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

JSI aircraft. Looks like they don't do large scale anymore..lots of links to eBay on google but whether those are all long gone I'm not sure. They are snap fit display models..pre painted and partially assembled on delivery and done in Chinese factories. Like 20 century toys. The guys that work on them here usually reverse engineer them and add in a ton of scratch building to bring them up to standard..and a repaint including getting custom decals done is part of the process

(Except Merit I think does a really good 1/18 dauntless)

Edited by hamfists nz

Steve this is one of a kind epic build. Can't wait to start on my beast. However it will be a while. Now it sits in the stash and is screaming at me "please start me" "I want to look better than just the toy they painted me as in the factory with chickenpox!"

Thanks Jarda for the kind words.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone,
Time to wake up this thread with a brief update,
I managed to get some weathering on the Tomcat's fuel tanks. With the limited amount of reference pics I was able to find, I came up with this for now. I'm not 100% satisfied with them right now. I'm going to add some "spot repairs" later on but, for now until I get colors on the jet, I'll leave them be.
On a side note, I had knee surgery on Friday the 20th (torn meniscus) so, my mobility is limited for now. Not sure when I'll get colors on the jet now so ......
Thanks to all who are still following along.

Steve

IMG_5831_zps9zhrqx9m.jpg

IMG_5832_zpsvmqr4irp.jpg

IMG_5833_zps93af2ilt.jpg

IMG_5834_zpsmrsnzsmj.jpg

IMG_5835_zpsmxlhtnzo.jpg

IMG_5836_zpshf1wcxmi.jpg

Looking good Steve. Hope the knee comes good soon, I've had all kinds of knee drama (stemming from a 20 year old rugby injury from my time in Texas), but never had to go all the way to surgery. Yet.

Good luck mate.

Jim

Thanks Jim, appreciate that. This was my third surgery on the same knee, tore my ACL and MCL playing hockey. The last two were arthroscopic however so, hoping to be up and around sooner than later.

Steve

Greetings everyone,
Minor update for this week. I managed to get the TCS camera pod attached to the Tomcat's nose. Monday, I decanted some Tamiya Light Ghost Gray and sprayed the area around the TCS pod, using my airbrush. Tuesday, I mixed up some two part epoxy and glued her in place, letting the epoxy dry for around 24 hours before using some Vallejo acrylic putty to fill the gap. The gap was created because I wasn't as accurate, as I thought I was being when I first removed it, with my jewelers saw.
The metal blade antenna popped off again so, I'll leave it go until the final bits get attached. This is the final step I wanted to accomplish before she goes to the paint barn. We'll see what the weekend holds and hopefully by the next update, I'll have some colors to show, fingers crossed.
Thanks to everyone who is still following along, I do appreciate it.

Steve

IMG_5869_zpshqv5y1xo.jpg

IMG_5870_zpsru1gvtvb.jpg

IMG_5872_zpsoskmpn1t.jpg