1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

Steve , great to see an update... good to see you keep going the extra mile on this, boy it sure is an incredibly work-intensive project.

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel, thanks for having a look. This project might be the death of me.

Steve

Good evening all,

Minor update for tonight,

I needed to add the windscreen rain removal vent to the front of the Tomcat. I've looked at this picture in my DACO book probably a hundred times but, I just couldn't figure out how to go about reproducing this.

IMG_5678_zpsox59bd0u.jpg

I decided to try using some Evergreen strip stock, size .060" x .080". After my second try I came up with a pretty good copy, if I do say so myself. I wanted the area that contacts the nose to sit nice and flush so I didn't have to use any filler or sanding that would ruin the panel fastener detail already completed. For the scale it might be a little heavy but, I couldn't work with anything smaller because of my hands. Hopefully with a coat of primer it will blend in better.

IMG_5679_zpshxvgwx0g.jpg

IMG_5682_zpspptfokmw.jpg

IMG_5681_zps0ggnbfr3.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Greetings all,

Today's update has to do with the Tomcat's tails. The tails were done long ago but, looking at my DACO book along with other reference material and, the rest of the airframe, I needed to add the "panel fastener" detail to the base of the tails. This was a little more stressful considering the tails are pretty much finished with the exception of some more weathering. I'm very happy with the results and looking at them side by side on the jet, the before and after, it was much needed. Now I just need to make the other tail match.

Thanks to everyone who is still following along.

Steve

IMG_5689_zpszxoaevnd.jpg

Symmetry, is the key :) i know that :P Very beautiful!

The leading edges need some thinning though?!

Thanks for checking in F's are my favs.

Too late for thinning the tail's leading edges now. I know when all is said and done there will be things I wish I would have done differently or things I should have done differently but, as a whole, it's a lot better than what I started with.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Things are at a stand still until I can get the weather to cooperate, it's simply just too hot and or humid to re-prime the Big Cat. I have to spray here out in the driveway, she will not fit in my booth.

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,
Minor update for today, favorable weather conditions allowed me to re-prime this beast. There are STILL a few spots I'm not completely happy with so, I hit them with some spot putty. Up next will be another wet sanding with 1200.
Thanks to all who are still following along.

Steve

IMG_5801_zpsxwpttpuw.jpg

IMG_5803_zps4guzzh7y.jpg

Awesome work Steve. Love the work so far. Keep em coming!

THOR    :ph34r:

Thanks THOR. I'm glad you liked what you saw and thanks for stopping by and commenting.

UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE!

Awesome work.

Very kind of you DesTROYer, thanks for checking in and commenting.

Steve