1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

Hi! It's looking good already! 

If the flat coats are water resistant, I would go for the weathering with a subtle salt treatment technic. Wetting the areas with corrosion, sprinkling large salt particles, spraying black/white acrylics very thinly here and there, then removing the salt.

I'm not exactly sure for the treatment after that, but I would use OPs for sure.

She is looking gorgeous!

Steve, that is looking good already!

An additional technique you may want to try out is dry-brushing panels of the model with slightly different shades of gray. This is a fairly fail-safe way to get some life into the model. Here is how I do it:

1. Identify some enamel grays that are slightly different to the grays you want to weather. Must be enamel paint, this for some reason doesn't work very well with acrylics.

2. Take an old smallish paint brush and cut the brush bristels such that only about 1/4 inch or less remain. 

3. Dip the brush into the paint.

4. Use a scrap surface to get rid of virtually all of the paint on the brush (i.e. typical dry brushing proceedure).

5. Continually brush/rub along a panel line such that you get a slight discoloration.

Cheers,

Marcel

Greetings all,
Tonight's update, "Weathering on the Tomcat, take 2."
I decided to "sun bleach" the top color of the Cat which, I think, turned out much better than my first attempt, which was horrible.
Still much more to do but, at least I'm on the right path.
I sincerely appreciate those of you who are still staying interested in my work.

Steve
"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

IMG_6125_zps8hcjjrhg.jpg

IMG_6126_zpsvqhbp98y.jpg

IMG_6127_zpswpixthoq.jpg

IMG_6128_zpsmvrl383y.jpg

IMG_6129_zpsbqahjr4t.jpg

IMG_6130_zpsasva9brk.jpg

IMG_6131_zpswjapraif.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,
Today's update focuses on the "mottling" of the bottom color on the Big Cat, to give it that worn, blotchy look. I used highly thinned Dark Ghost Gray and sprayed very lightly all around the belly of the jet as well as on some of the parts. Up next is a semi-gloss coat followed by adding the dirt and grime. I have to admit, this is my first attempt at weathering a Naval jet and, I'm quite happy with the results.
Thanks for following along and, enjoy the pics.

Steve
"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

IMG_6138_zps3yrj970h.jpg

IMG_6140_zpsy0gdijcl.jpg

IMG_6141_zpsrvoza6si.jpg

IMG_6142_zpsdkb8exvw.jpg

IMG_6143_zpscebcno2x.jpg