1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

On 7/7/2018 at 10:04 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Nice! I bet this thing is going to take boat loads of clear

Actually Brian, I only used  2 cans ( 3oz. ) of Model Master "wet look clear."

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

Good evening all,

I had a very productive weekend getting the decals on the Big Cat. I'd like to wait until ALL the decals are applied before I show it off but, here's a teaser for those loyal followers. Thanks all for staying along for the ride.

Steve

IMG_6016_zpsjmr4jcek.jpg

Greetings everyone,
Mini update tonight, The wingtip “slime” lights have proven to be the biggest PITA so far. Mostly self induced because I had to add the small black lines from my stash and, no, they were not fun to cut out. With my arm / hand issue this took quite a while to do.
Thanks for looking.
Steve

IMG_6019_zpsfxkvwhts.jpg

17 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Well you pulled it off just fine Steve, I  could not have done better with 2 fully working hands!

Keep up the great work my friend, love each update

Anthony, thanks very much for your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoy the updates.

15 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

The lights look good! Appreciate your against all odds modeling!

Marcel

Thanks Marcel, your opinions / comments are highly respected, appreciate that very much. I'm very much looking forward to your A-6E. Once this Big Cat is finished, I plan on getting back to my 1/48th half - started, A-6E TRAM.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the starboard side "Grumman Ironworks" nose art decal for my Big Cat was incorrect on my sheet so, I'm waiting on that before I can continue. It's a shame because I was really making good progress on the Big Cat. I'm hoping it shows up sooner than later.

Steve

Since I'm waiting on some replacement decals for the Big Cat, I decided to turn my attention to the GBU-16's. JSI did a very nice job representing them but, they can be " kicked up a notch." There is a small hexagon shaped area on the CCG, (Computer Control Group). This area is the electrical hookup spot for the bomb dump guys (AMMO) to connect their equipment to do their tests on the CCG to make sure everything works as advertised before delivering the munitions to the flightline loaders. This hexagon shape should be on the topside of the CCG because right next to it is the BFD (Battery Firing Device) and, right behind that is the arming wire guide all which run right in line with the bombs lugs.
I had to fill in the old holes and drill new ones. I'm also sanding away the seam that runs thru the bomb body and will use BIC "Wite Out" to replace the bombs coating ( just like I did on the MK-83's ). I'll also need to scratch build a BFD for the arming wire to connect to. I would like to get rid of the seam on the CCG but, the fins cover up some of that and I think I should just leave well enough alone.
With these two GBU-16's and my four MK-83's, I'll be able to change up the loadout on the Big Cat from time to time. Thanks to all who are still continuing to follow along, I do appreciate it very much.

Steve

IMG_6034_zpsoyysbbtw.jpg

IMG_6032_zpsepl33doz.jpg

IMG_6035_zpsqgdgvfvj.jpg

IMG_6033_zps7xc7jfbg.jpg

Greetings all,

Minor update for today but, progress anyway. Still no decals but, managed to get the bomb bodies sanded down, with 320 and wiped down with rubbing alcohol and masked them up prior to paint. First thing however was to apply the thermal coating to the bomb bodies, like I did with my MK-83's. The Wite Out was applied last night and today I shall paint the yellow areas for the bomb body stripes. Once that dries, I'll mask off the stripes and spray the bomb bodies. Then I'll scratch-build the Battery Firing Device (BFD) and, add the arming wire.

Thanks for following along, until the next update ...

Steve

IMG_6041_zpsh63fnuli.jpg

IMG_6042_zpsyses5gco.jpg

Greetings everyone,

Minor update for today but, progress none the less. I managed to get the bombs sprayed Light Ghost Gray. Up next, a coat of semi-gloss, some weathering and, the flat coat.
Thanks to all who still stay interested in my work.

Steve

IMG_6060_zpsx9tu5bqb.jpg