1/24th P-51 Mustang kit, which is better? Airfix or Trumpeter?

RetroRocket

Sooooo, go to show, look for older boxing of the Airfix kit, and hopefully one gets cleaner parts, with less flash?

Pretty much. You can see that the early pressings have more detail and are a bit sharper. On the later issues some of the detail has almost disappeared, at least on the Mustang, eg the clamshell doors for the landing gear.

But...the new releases also have added bits. The latest one has three different props (Hamilton Standard cuffed and uncuffed, and Aeroproducts), a new canopy and bits for the photo-recon version. And as Steve says, nice Cartograf decals.

Edited by R Palimaka

Ok now I'll throw in an oddball... theres a company thats selling an all aluminum skinned finished 15th scale P-51, I'm not an expert on it and I'm wondering how accurate the shape is, its the same company that did the Spitfire.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airplane-WWII-Mustang-P-51-Fighter-26-Desktop-Model-Aircraft-Authentic-Models-/262701208837?hash=item3d2a365505:g:zRgAAOSwMVdYGQMY

Haven't seen the real thing ( and not likely to at that price!)...but it doesn't look good from the photos. Some definite shape and detail issues there...and I thought the Airfix landing gear needed help!

Probably looks impressive sitting in front of you, but for $775.00 I'd want bang-on accuracy.

Afraid I'd have to go for Trumpy.   I've got both kits and whilst the Airfix kit might have a more accurate outline........it's pretty bad in detail.   Soft details, trench like panel lines and just generally time Airfix gave us an all new 1/24th kit.   The Trumpy kit might have inaccuracies but at least the detail is nice and crisp.  

It's what you make it gents...here's my 24th Airfix P-51 from 15 years ago...

p51d_001.jpg

p51d_003.jpg

I built this model for Cal Spann, Tuskegee Airman...he returned it after a few weeks and asked if I could build one in 48th scale that would actually fit on his desk. Cal has since passed, but I have several nice autographed photos of him sitting with the model.

The gear must be lowered - she sits way too high otherwise. At the end of the day, when you put it on the shelf - it looks like a Mustang.

Edited by Jeff Herne

Wouldn't it be incredible if Airfix re-tooled this kit? I would make the move to 1/24 for sure.....

They've done it in 1/72, announced it for 1/48 for 2017...they don't do 1/32...so in my modelling dreams 1/24 is next. Of course, I'm biased. 

And I can already hear the, "Not another Mustang!" complaints.  :)

It's what you make it gents...here's my 24th Airfix P-51 from 15 years ago...

p51d_001.jpg

p51d_003.jpg

I built this model for Cal Spann, Tuskegee Airman...he returned it after a few weeks and asked if I could build one in 48th scale that would actually fit on his desk. Cal has since passed, but I have several nice autographed photos of him sitting with the model.

The gear must be lowered - she sits way too high otherwise. At the end of the day, when you put it on the shelf - it looks like a Mustang.

Nice job but it's disappointing to hear he returned it.

One from Hyperscale of the Trump kit OOB.

http://hsgalleries.com/p51d24hs_1.htm

Looks a whole lot like a Mustang...

Not "OOB". He replaced the canopy for sure, possibly other things as well.

This is what the Trumpeter kit's canopy actually looks like (note the big bulge along the sides):

robertop51c.jpg

Image from THIS BUILD, which really is OOB. A fine build to be sure, but the shape issues of the kit used are readily apparent. Literally everything is off to some extent. 

One thing that stands out with almost all of the online builds of the Trumpeter P-51D is that the builders rarely shoot overall, high-angle shots of the completed model. Doing so would show off the cartoonish shape of the wings and horizontal stabilizers. 

There are tons of images online of both kits, and numerous threads here and elsewhere come up with a Google search. The best bet would be take a look and decide for yourself.

D