Heavy Mod - 1/18 21st Century Toys P-47D Razorback

JayW

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for something new?  Well, sorry, not this post.  But I do want to show you this:

DSC05579_zpsfuxdsj6k.jpg

It is hard to describe how much of a milestone this is to me.  All the cylinder lamination work is finished.  It has taken months of repetitious (and less and less rewarding) work.  I am so glad it is behind me.

Here are the cylinder jugs and cylinder heads (laminate assemblies only) for all nine front row cylinders:

DSC05582_zpsahgsshqv.jpg

Note there are no resin pourings.  All hand work, which makes for better looking parts.

As described for the rear row cylinders, I am now off preparing the spark plug ports, making and installing the rocker arm covers, making and installing the air baffles (ugh!), and installing all the front row cylinders.  Then (and only then) will I embark on the very challenging work associated with intake and exhaust manifold pipes.  The R-2800 project is looking like it's going to take at least a half year!  

Jay,

The cylinders and heads look fantastic. The amount of time and effort you put into making them to that standard is amazing. The completed engine will be a model all by its own.

Looking forward to your next update that hopefully will be the nearly completely engine.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

I get all these comments for persistence, determination, patience.   Thank you, thank you.  Richly deserved.  Because I have had to fight off despair with this project due to the repetitive drudgery of it (all due to the x18 factor).  But alot of that is past now.  The front row of cylinders is now done:

IMG_0411_zps796xojod.jpg

And here are the two rows stacked as they will be once I bond them together:

IMG_0412_zpsiwjdpdkb.jpg

And what it replaces:  

DSC05460_zps3cbib5ml.jpg

Some items to notice - the front row cylinders have rocker arm pushrods in full view.  And some of the cylinder heads have little lines that connect the lobes of adjacent cylinders together.  I read somewhere that this is associated with oil accumulation in the lower cylinders and engine start difficulties.  That's all I recall.

Now it is on to the intake manifold and pipes.  Gonna get crowded.  I'll post soon.