Heavy Mod - 1/18 21st Century Toys P-47D Razorback

JayW

My first post on this subject was December of 2016, back when this thing was supposed to be a razorback P-47D.  Now two and a half years later I finally have a finished 1/18 scale bubbletop P-47D, the aircraft that my uncle's wartime CO flew for a time (Glen Eagleston).  So this is my last "work in progress" post on this long project.  

The remaining tasks were to finish the RH bomb pylon, apply the wing decals, and fabricate a pitot mast:

Here is the RH bomb pylon.  Looks like the LH pylon:

yDABIuAl.jpg

btswUuYl.jpg

Now finally, the underside of this beast looks like a war machine.  

The pitot mast was much easier than I thought.  The basic mast is just .06 diameter plastic rod, and the front portion I just cut out of .03 thick plastic sheet:

KLqiky9l.jpg

This part, along with the radio antenna, the sway brace bolts, and the cowl flaps, and the wing flaps combine to make this a very fragile model.  Moving it around risks breaking something off.

Here you see the wing decals - a P-47 doesn't look like a P-47 without the numbers over the guns:

Ie6Eiu8l.jpg

I will show a few pictures of the finished model, and then post something in the "ready for inspection" section:

SiAjBpcl.jpg

xz9Z8T8l.jpg

TeK4Juyl.jpg

FSqDqhRl.jpg

LIqFXVIl.jpg

I had alot of fun with this although at times I didn't think so (like the engine cylinder work).  The Aircorps library drawings enabled me to make some pretty cool scratch built stuff, and get this toy to look more like a real P-47.  Thanks again for those of you who stuck with this from the beginning - we all got older!  And thanks for the relative newcomers too!  All of you helped me persevere and offered great ideas.  One day I will start in on my 1/18 Corsair.  Happy modelling!  

Edited by JayW

I just re-read this whole thread and it's hard to verbalize just how superlative this whole build is, from start to finish.

A Herculean engineering, research and fabrication challenge on so many different levels, requiring not just outstanding craftsmanship but preternatural amounts of perseverance and focus.

Again, chapeau to you, Jay. You didn't just knock this outta the park, you knocked it clear across the state line!

Jay, youve done it.   I also purchased this kit but in the razorback version and intended to do some of what you did to upgrade it.  After seeing your quality of work I think I will just move on to a less complicated project with the satisfaction of knowing that what you did is what I would've done in my dreams.  It looks amazing, the entire project is so impressive.  Thanks for sharing your step-by-step process.  I salute your skills of getting even the tiniest details spot on.  I look forward to your work on the F4U Corsair as I purchased one of these with the same intentions.  Keep up the good work.

Still hanging for the RFI pics.  Will say this, though...  It's as handsome as any Jug I've ever seen modelled, and detailed more than most.  Spectacular effort brought spectacular success.  Amazing patience to carry it through to the end.

Gaz

First thing I notice in almost all RIF posts is high quality photography, with no background in the pictures.  That's going to be a challenge.  You know, with a 1/18 scale monster like this P-47, it takes some doing to create a background for it.  Already I had to modify a wall-mounted shelf to make it large enough to handle it.  So what to do....   

5 minutes ago, JayW said:

First thing I notice in almost all RIF posts is high quality photography, with no background in the pictures.  That's going to be a challenge.  You know, with a 1/18 scale monster like this P-47, it takes some doing to create a background for it.  Already I had to modify a wall-mounted shelf to make it large enough to handle it.  So what to do....   

Outside w/some natural light, and a natural background maybe? Might be easier to set something up background wise that way