Unique P-38 tires - Feb 20 update!

BiggTim

I am trying to find some 1/32 tires for my P-38 that more closely represent the ones on the actual aircraft I'm building. The two mains appear to be a sort of herringbone pattern, while the nose wheel seems to be diamond tread (I will attach pics when I am able).

I am aware of the block tread tires with solid wheels from GMF, and the smooth ribbed ones from Aires, and there was an old diamond set from Jerry, now OOP, and one from Contact Resine, also OOP.

If anyone can point me to some other options, or has any of those listed above that they would let go of, please let me know.

Tim

Pic of the tire:

cropped_wheel.jpgupload image online free

Edited by BiggTim

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I think I finally found some better images of this type of tire, but all of them were on B-24 Liberators. Since I would be surprised if the P-38 and B-24 used the same diameter wheel, I must assume they made this tire in a variety of sizes. I don't know if I'll be able to replicate a couple of them for my Lightning, or if I'll even try, but I thought it was interesting enough to post.

B_24_Main_Wheel_2a_689x690.jpgimage hosting 5mb

B_24_Main_Wheel_2b_S_499x261.jpgimage hosting 5mb

B_24_Main_Wheel_2c_S_500x198.jpgimage hosting 5mb

b24mbg_20.jpgimage hosting 5mb

b24mbgmainwheel_23.jpgimage hosting 5mb

I am trying to find some 1/32 tires for my P-38 that more closely represent the ones on the actual aircraft I'm building. The two mains appear to be a sort of herringbone pattern, while the nose wheel seems to be diamond tread (I will attach pics when I am able).

I am aware of the block tread tires with solid wheels from GMF, and the smooth ribbed ones from Aires, and there was an old diamond set from Jerry, now OOP, and one from Contact Resine, also OOP.

If anyone can point me to some other options, or has any of those listed above that they would let go of, please let me know.

Tim

Pic of the tire:

cropped_wheel.jpgupload image online free

Huh. Pirelli P7's on a Lightning.

In the worst case, simply use other tires as they were regularly replaced. If a plane had a service life of at least some dozens of missions, this becomes a certainty.

You're right, and I may choose to do exactly that. Since I am trying to model that particular bird at that particular time, I figured it was worth trying to find the right tires, but I may decide not to sweat that detail.

• 2 weeks later...

So I took a stab at making one of these tires from a casting of the rubber tire included in the Trumpy kit. It's not bad, but for some reason the pattern makes it look too fat, even though it isn't. In fact, it's slightly narrower than the Trumpy tire, since I flattened the side walls a bit and squared the tread slightly to more closely match the picture I posted earlier. What do you guys think?

20170220_074626.jpgimage hosting 10mb limit

20170220_074657.jpgimage hosting 10mb limit

Afternoon Morning Tim! bloody time zones!!! :oops:

Tyres look good to me, if I may be so bold? the tyres on the B-24 (to my eye's) look to be over inflated / carrying no weight,

so your going to get the 'odd' look, as yours will be perceived to be load bearing.

Just a thought...........

Paul

So I took a stab at making one of these tires from a casting of the rubber tire included in the Trumpy kit. It's not bad, but for some reason the pattern makes it look too fat, even though it isn't. In fact, it's slightly narrower than the Trumpy tire, since I flattened the side walls a bit and squared the tread slightly to more closely match the picture I posted earlier. What do you guys think?

20170220_074626.jpgimage hosting 10mb limit

20170220_074657.jpgimage hosting 10mb limit

Is there an extra row of treads in the Trump tire?  5 instead of 4, can't quite tell from the photos of the prototype which is correct. Nice job of molding & casting, BTW.

Cheers,

D.B.