Last Stand at Wake Island-75 years ago this week

JRutman

I made this modest vignette as an homage to the brave souls that fought this battle in the middle of nowhere against huge odds in the 1941. The fight began on the 8th of December'41 and lasted until the 23rd. The forces of the US Navy were under attack all across the Pacific and no help could or would arrive.

My scene includes a sailor,Marine and civilian construction worker making a "last charge" after all their ammo was gone.  For effect I included a facsimile of the movie poster as a background. Hope you enjoy it as you remember these guys for what they did.

The military guys were taken POW and suffered the usual harsh confinement the Japanese dealt out in those days but the civilians suffered the worse and were basically worked as slaves,Americans and Filipinos alike. Not many survived and most were outright executed.

IMG_1450_zpspe8vvvko.jpg

The vignette and groundwork

IMG_1451_zpslblzavri.jpg

My modest backdrop

IMG_1452_zpsf7ngozmi.jpg

Some of us can convey the looks of aircraft in a snapshot of time. You Jerry, show the snapshot of a soul, a face in the instant it happened. My hat is off to you my friend. VERY well plaid and appreciated ......Harv :thumbsup:  :punk:

Harv,Jim,Maru and Peter,

Thanks friends for your very nice and generous comments!  I do try to go for the human element,yes. I used to just build models of the machines we use in modern times to kill each other but then drew on my real world experience to try to show the human element behind those machines and the toll it takes on all involved,directly and indirectly.

Judging from your very kind comments I guess I came close to achieving that a little bit and I thank you!

J

I love it. The thing that really catches my eye is the rifle sling. The way it's "moving" brings so much life yet it's such a small part. Inspiring.

Thanks,glad that you liked it. I was hoping I would get that across and am happy that apparently I succeeded.

J