Trumpeter 1/35 CH-47D Chinook

Wafu

I've never really taken to helo's but this is an amazing build you are doing.  The interior detail is terrific (the red and blue coolers in particular are perfect!) and you are making the most of the opportunity.  Despite the usual Trumpeter Challenges, this is turning out really well and I'm following along with great interest.  The crew especially really add a great element to the build.

Well done!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Ok, more of the build that I've managed to fit in around work.

Popped the canopy on after the last few touches inside the office, MicTel pigtails, Rotorbrake handle etc.

IMG_1559_zpsruuvgjwm.jpg

IMG_1559_zpsruuvgjwm.jpg

IMG_1557_zps7hzdwimi.jpg

IMG_1558_zpstmupsbog.jpg

Couldn't stop myself doing this, a very temporary build up..

IMG_1561_zpsr1m2rehu.jpg

I'm going to need a bigger shed. Massive kit with the rotors sat on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ian - I thought I'd join you on this site.  

Looking good mate.  You need to get those latest shots up though as its looking mean with the latest coat of primer on it.

WAFU and I are on with parallel Chinook builds, only I'm a bit slower than him, like I've been on with mien for 3 years (on and off) in April.....  I've not come across many completed Chinook builds, so it will be good to see this one done.

We did work together on some Sand Filters - I got the drawings from the manufacturer (Pall Systems in the States) and Ian got a set knocked up at Shapeways, but they are not the best, so we both binned them.

I've knocked up a set, which are nearly finished.  as they are an essential item for anyone doing build an Afghan build, if WAFU is OK with it, I'll publish some measurements and bits and pieces so anyone wanting to knock a set out can have a crack at some.

Here are mine so far (just the front mesh to finish)

IMG_4413_zpssavwg3og.jpg

The mesh in the filters is not an 100% representation of the real item - the holes dont scale down well, so I had to use a bit of poetic license (have bigger holes).

Welcome to LSP Simmerit, really good to have you on here. It'll be good to let the guys see your work, its outstanding.

I've finished my set of shifts so tomorrow I'll post the latest stage of my build.

No problem putting the filters on here. I have a second Chinook and I'd like to do a RAF Afgan one.

Cheers the Woo.

Ok, a short spell at work over the Christmas period put pay to any advancement, well I say that, I did manage to get the exhaust deflectors on, tweet the Hoist area and finish off some of the more stubborn seam lines.

So, very much on the back of the designer and model producer Mr Floyd Werner, I've followed his leave and decided the first colour coat on my primer would be Tamiya Yellow Green. A no brainer for me, I've fitted more panels with worn down to the zinc chromate primer in my time of working on military and civil helicopters.

Here is my MH-47E so far...

IMG_1584_zpstujguigr.jpg

In paint, starting to really appreciate how much surface area is involved with this kit.

IMG_1582_zpsupsfbdec.jpg

Pipework for the hoist, the refuel probe and bristling with antennas.

IMG_1581_zps3ouih9ks.jpg

IMG_1580_zpsl4uabucc.jpg

I'm torn between fitting the Chaff and Flare dispensers or leaving them off. I'm clumsy enough to swipe one off in the coming stages. Just like Simmerit I've abandoned the Engine Sand filters and stuck with standard intakes.

IMG_1579_zpsuprnoyv5.jpg

More workshop adventures tomorrow, I hope.

What a difference a day makes, or so the song goes.

After a small delay this morning I managed to flash my compressor up and with the heater on, got stuck into pre-shading and colour, Tamiya Black Green being the choice for me.

But first black lines......

IMG_1604_zpstrbvc5ek.jpg

IMG_1602_zpsjpj8lv96.jpg

IMG_1601_zpsx5gkfnjf.jpg

IMG_1600_zps3i0giu4q.jpg

Not seen in these photographs is the pre-appication of Asda's finest (Wall-Mart for our cousins across the pond) Hairspray. I applied it to the upper walk-ways, vertical hand and foot holds and finally to the main rotor blades. I had applied a light coat of Alclad Dull Aluminium after the primer grey had been applied to the blades.

Yes I did man up and fitted the Chaff and Flare dispensers to the relevant airframe locations.

And so to paint....

IMG_1607_zpszunkoeuy.jpg

IMG_1608_zpsj0vstedp.jpg

IMG_1605_zpsfr4ichmp.jpg

I was pleased when I finished applying the three misted coats on the model, the best was yet to come. With the workshop warming up nicely, the paint started to lighten as it dried, so much so that I am really pleased how the base colour has gone on. 

Tomorrow will be about brush painting the small details before post shading and highlighting some of the sun bleached areas. I must tackle the front Rotorhead pylon glazed panel as well. Time to dig out my reference on dust effects and trawl the internet for Afghan theatre Chinooks.