WnW Bristol F2B Fighter

Whitey

One of my favourite aircraft since I was a little kid has been the Bristol Fighter. My dad even likes it too, probably for longer than I have.

Started last weekend and enjoying the cockpit and engine so far.

I bought the kit in 2012 when I was working in Saudi Arabia. The free delivery was fantastic.

When I returned to Australia and later on moved to New Zealand it has travelled with us.

The kit has probably "travelled" further than most Bristol Fighters.

BOX%20WNW32004_zpsgfda0u1g.jpg

The kit appears to be a daunting and challenging WWI build but it is working out really well and straight forward so far.

The engine has good detail but I think that most of it will be hidden away behind the cowls.

Start%204_zpsdp89eabw.jpg

Start3_zpsqwiif7sa.jpg

The instrument panel is Tamiya rattle can white undercoat and when dry a redder Tamiya Red Brown rough brushed across it to give a Rose wood gain effect. It looks interesting so I am happy. The kit instrument decals are slightly too big to fit in the holes provided but I punched the last few and they fit and sit down nicely. Still some touch ups to go on yet.

The wicker floor panel for the gunner is just some light Buff and White with some brown dry-brushed over the top. I might add some more colour but not to much.

Start%201_zpsqbetsdtm.jpg

Bracing wires and control cables done with white knitting-in elastic from WnW and then painted Model Master Aluminium.

The leather surrounds on the wicker seat are still to be painted in a leathery colour, TBD.

Woodgrain on cockpit floor is just Tamiya yellows and browns with a coat of Clear Orange on top. All brushed to give a grainy appearance.

Start%202_zpswliwvw63.jpg

Start%205_zpsu92rjsrj.jpg

Here she is on my bench. Lots of fun work to do in the cockpit before it get put in place, including painting of the fuselage upper surfaces. It might save some masking later on.

Start%20Bench_zpshwdu5vf4.jpg

And here am I with the real thing at Masterton, NZ a couple of years ago. The white spots on the wing is bird poop. You can expect to see some painted onto the model.

Peter%20and%20Bristol%20Fighter_zps4qout

Howdy Clunk, thanks for the kind words. The seat is from Barracuda with the kit seat cushion. 

Barracuda stuff is really good but British wicker seats generally had a cushion built in.  (Flame suit on)

Oh cool! We very rarely see these built, and this will be a pleasure to watch.

Looking great so far!

Is that the kit seat? If so, it must have taken forever to sand off the Gand and pick out the open spaces between the weaves.

It looks bloody amazing, by the way.

When I built mine, I left the band on, because the instructions never mentioned sanding it off.

I managed to lever it out a few months after and attack it with a sander.

Fantastic work mate. 

Mate, if you don't mind I have a question. How did you colour the brass areas? There seems to be great smoothness and depth. I am trying to get something of the kind going but have no idea what I want or how to get there. :)

Your answer may guide my search. 

Looking forward to watching this thread.

Thanks Whitey.

Dale

Guest Peterpools

Whitey

Wonderful start on the Bristol; engine and woodwork look top shelf

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Will take your word on the seat. I have a couple in my stash, I've not used mine though, but soon, I hope.

Great job on this build.

It's well know that British wicker seats had a cushion, a cup-of-tea holder on one side, and a pipe holder on the other.

The cup-of-tea holder was always starboard. Senior flyers were known to sneak a scone aboard, or sometimes Victorian sponge cake.

It's going to be the TVAL's Brisfit mate.  I'll get to work on the markings soon.  Most are in the box but a couple I need to make or acquire. A stencil cutter may be the answer in the new year.

Hi Dale,

I hope you are well mate.

The Brass is just Model Master metallic Brass - buffable......brush painted and then buffed with a stiff brush for depth after it is dry.

Wow thanks mate. I'm fine. Hope the same.

Great brush work. Do you mind if I steal this? :)

Good musicians borrow.

Great musicians steal.

:D