Flying boats and seaplanes you'd like to see in LSP format.

mpk

I'd definitely go for a Sunderland (in 1/32) ... Growing up it seemed to me to be the flying boat version of the Lancaster ...

I'd love it if HK Model had a crack at one in the right scale - it's right up their alley for big birds!

Rog :)

It would be pretty big at 32" long x 42.25" wingspan x 12 3/8" tall.

I'd really like to see one. My first boss moved from Alberta to England to work at Short in 1938. One of his jobs was hanging props on new Sunderlands and later on Sterlings.  He said he used to straddle the prop hub on the ground and ride it up with the crane to mount it to the engine then climb down. He hated heights too!!

Does anybody know if the newish Hasegawa Zero kit could be used together withhe MDC conversion??

I'm no expert, Alan - but the Rufe was based on the A6M2 platform. You could look for the Tomy, et al. kits. You'd need to spring for an AM cockpit or do some serious scratchbuilding. Even then, you'd get very little in the way of engine detail. Not long ago, I picked up a Tamiya Zero for very close to the retail price of the Hasegawa kit.

Some really nice ideas here, but I'd like to add some speed to the subject: how about the Convair XF2Y-1 Sea Dart ?

Now tell me this isn't a cool jet:

720.jpg

720.jpg

540.jpg

Probably a long shot before this will be available... But any other Convair jet in 1/32 would be good news to me too!

Nic

Well Joe there is that exception.... thanks for sharing the video..

;)

....a lot more than one ! Anyhow, I do share your vision of nice take offs and landings....I actually got a flight in a Grumman HU-16 Albatross one day and the pilot was doing touch and goes on Lake Mead (Nevada) I was an awesome day to be on board ! This video was taken by the friend who got me the ride....

https://youtu.be/_m31XIJgytI

Amazingly, officials at the Boulder City airport did not like having the Alby at their airport, always complaining that it was too noisy !!

Cheers,

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching a show on C130's and had a short piece on 130's replacing a Mars as a fire fighting plane in Canada. What a beautiful aircraft. Thanks Maru....Harv

She wasn't built to be sexy, she was built to be tough and capable, both of those goals were exceeded.

PBM5Aamphibian.jpg

Didn't they have a problem with the fuel tanks. the planes exploding in mid air.

I think we need a PBY 5 Catalina with all the parts to make a black cat, nose mods, and 6A tail.

Also the Grumman goose, Widgeon, the Emily